harpcolumn

M.Grandjany his works

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Professional Harpists M.Grandjany his works

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    mr-s

Hello , i am

Misty Harrison
    Participant

Ruth K. Inglefield has a nice short book on Grandjany that will answer some of these questions. Start with that book. You can get it from most of the harp stores like http://www.harp.com I think and I’m sure you could ask your local library to borrow it from another library if you can’t order it. The other thing is to look up theses and dissertations on Grandjany. I am sure some people have written on him. Maybe Kathy Bundock Moore?

That book is not that informative. It is mostly about his life. I don’t think it even had a list of works. I was a bit disappointed in it. His music is not too complicated. His background as an organist was informative, I think. He tended to apply color as an organist would use stops, to my ear. His most inventive pieces are the Pastorale, Divertissement, and his very free arrangement of the CPE Bach Sonata and the Children’s Hour. My teacher thought his piece for horn, harp and orchestra was one of his best works. Children at Play is one of his best solos, as is Automne for simpler works. His use of form is much like Tournier’s and Renie’s. His single-movement pieces tend to fall into broad ABA forms with extended cadenzas and figurations. His most modern piece is probably the Children’s Hour Suite. What etudes did he compose? Do you mean the Bach transcriptions? His approach to Bach is romantic, lush chords, flexible dynamics rather than terraced dynamics.

His Fantaisie is apparently much derived from an earlier work by another composer which de Maistre recorded.

His Rhapsodie, to me, is not much different from Renie’s work, except his personality is distinct.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies