Moonlight Sonata and Air on the G string

Sylvia Clark on #151205

I’m wondering if most harpists play these two pieces.

jennifer-buehler on #151206

I play Moonlight Sonata regularly.

Participant
    Jessica A on #151207

I play the Bach, but the Beethoven seems too awkward with all the accidentals.

Participant
    Lynne Abbey-Lee on #151208

There is a transcription by Carlos Salzedo of the Adagio from the “Moonlight Sonata,” published by Lyra Music. Lots of pedal changes, but not too difficult. People always seem to like it when I include it at a gig.

Participant
    Briggsie B. Peawiggle on #151209

As a pianist first, the last thing I want to do is play that Beethoven movement on the harp. To me it’s really a yucky thing….and so overdone. The Air for the G String is beautiful in it’s original creation. I wouldn’t want to hear it on the harp. Just me….

Briggsie

Participant
    laura-palmieri on #151210

I agree June! I don’t know why people keep asking for Beethoven and even Chopin! It’s awkward to play and it just doesn’t sound right to me, but people like to hear those familiar songs like that.

Participant
    Briggsie B. Peawiggle on #151211

Laura, my opinion is “Fine, then hire a pianist, or point me to the piano, but I ain’t doin’ that on the harp. No way.”

Participant
    Karen Johns on #151212

I love Moonlight Sonata- just starting to look at it on the harp. It does have a lot of accidentals so this one will take me some time to learn. I’ve heard it played on lever harp by Pamela Bruner and it’s just beautiful. I hope someday will a lot of work I can do this piece justice.

Karen

Participant
    Misty Harrison on #151213

Whether or not they should be played on the harp they’re both pretty standard gig rep.

Participant
    Briggsie B. Peawiggle on #151214

Standard gig rep for some people you mean…..

Participant
    Misty Harrison on #151215

For professionals is what I mean. Here is a small sample of harpists with websites listing at least one of those songs on their repertoire lists. Notice they are all over the country. This is standard repertoire.

Michelle Sell, CA

kay-lister on #151216

I had “Air” requested twice recently for weddings.

Keymaster
    HBrock25 on #151217

I have played both upon request.

Participant
    sherry-lenox on #151218

How do harp arrangements of the Air address the sustained notes that are a primary element of the piece?

From the musical standpoint, I can see a sense of internal conflict with playing something that can’t actually be appropriately realized on the instrument- I’m thinking Flight of the Bumblebee on the tuba for instance.

That said, I suppose if I were playing tuba professionally and a bride requested that I play FOTBB on my tuba for her to process to, and I wanted to be hired by the bride, I’d do it.

I guess the “Beautyisintheeyeofthebeholder” (or ear of the listener) principle applies.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.