Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
M Rodgers
SpectatorThank you David and Kay. I am very pleased with the few shows that I do because I do get treated well and am promoted heavily.
David, while Saturdays are still popular, I am booking Fridays and Sundays as well for weddings. I am fortunate that in my area, many brides are eager to book alternate days…all of us win!I am asking in particular about the Bridal Salon because they tout themselves as being the
M Rodgers
SpectatorI know this is an older thread but it is always relevant to someone. I currently have a Subaru Legacy wagon ( they don’t make anymore) and it has been great. I took out the seat part of the back seat so the back rests flat and it is a full time harp mobile. It has 239,000 miles on it though and at 10 years old it is time to think of something else. It does get about 27 mpg and I am having a hard time finding cars that equal that with AWD.
I am looking at the Outback and I think the new Forester has more room now. In 2002 they were narrower than the Outback.
M Rodgers
SpectatorI did an all Disney wedding at a Catholic church which has since changed it’s policy. The bride insisted on “Beauty and the Beast” as her processional and they walked out to “A whole New World”. I had to play ‘Someday My Prince Will Come,” “I’m Wishing”, “La La lu”, etc…think the Disney Song book and I played it all as either prelude or postlude.
Lately tons of Over the Rainbow or Wonderful World. L. Cohen’s Halleluiah is a close 3rd.
Last week was Jason Mraz “Lucky” for the processional and “I’m Yours” for the recessional
and I still get tons of requests for Metallica “Nothing Else Matters” for the prelude.
funny thing is now the “Little Fountain” is popular because it is a video game theme….who knew?
M Rodgers
SpectatorThanks Carl, I appreciate that.
M Rodgers
SpectatorDespite living in Michigan, that happened to me for only the 1st time this year. A bride wanted to get married in an orchard in May. It was 70 on Friday and 43 on Sat. She was adamant that the wedding be in the orchard despite the wind and cold. I pulled out the contract she had signed stating that it’s up to my discretion to go out if it is below 60. She agreed to the contract. There was no PA out in the orchard ( the guests had to ride a wagon to get out there.) and no one had a jambox so the wedding was sans music. I felt bad and agreed to play during cocktails and part of dinner.
The minister approached me later and told me there was no way I could have played out there, he almost dropped the rings because his hands were numb. The guests were miserable and quickly gathered indoors, ignoring the appetizers for the outdoor cocktail hour.
Sometimes the wedding coordinator needs to
M Rodgers
SpectatorI did it in Rockford, IL this year and it wasn’t bad at all. Make sure you sit by the celeste/piano because the harp plays back and forth with them. It is a very cool piece.
M Rodgers
SpectatorHow about what not to say to the playing spouse?
M Rodgers
SpectatorAlthough I currently have 2 elderly L&H harps I have heard Venus harps and appreciate
them.M Rodgers
SpectatorJust so you know, there is no possible way there can be phase cancellation or “wave
cancelling” in a harp.M Rodgers
SpectatorVirginia, think Faust. Schubert’s
M Rodgers
SpectatorBrandee, Here is a brief list that I follow loosely for demo concerts:
1.Open with a showy piece.
2.Say hello and talk about previous piece and composer.
3.Talk briefly about the history of the harp.
4.Introduce and play the 2nd piece.
5.Discuss the parts of the harp and give the audience something to look (listen) for in the
3rd piece.
6.Discuss pedals in detail explain pedal vs. lever harp.
7.Play a short Irish piece.
8.Play a piece for pedal harp and suggest they watch your feet. (Pescetti Sonata 1st mvt
works well). (somewhere there is a statisic on how many different pedal combinations
there are…1,000?)
9.Discuss effects and notation and play samples.
10.Play effect-laden piece (i.e Chanson de la nuit)
11.Have a short showy encore ready and expect lots of questions.
Any program style pieces with a story are great.
M Rodgers
SpectatorYour situation sounds miserable.
June 17, 2004 at 4:00 am in reply to: Looking for a Teacher near South Bend, IN (northcentral IN) #89415M Rodgers
SpectatorSue Davids lives in Elkhart and teaches at St. Mary’s.
M Rodgers
SpectatorM Rodgers
SpectatorI have to say that I swear by Superglue.
-
AuthorPosts