harpcolumn

THe Perfect Harp Car

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Professional Harpists THe Perfect Harp Car

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 139 total)
  • Author

My wonderful Honda Odyssey needs a new transmission, so I am looking for a new vehicle. I went into Toyota today and learned that the new Prius V will have more room, and the back will be more square than the last model. In a couple of weeks, the first ones will be arriving at the car lot! I told the salesman the harp’s measurements, and he said that would fit into the current model of the Prius.

OOps; in the third line of my post three posts above this one, I wrote on your test drive, to your trusted mechaniic. I should have written: bring a car you are considering. My mind was wandering, I guess.

Trista Hill
    Spectator

OHHH I would be SO interested to hear how harps fit in the Prius V! I have a 940 Volvo station wagon and am constantly worried it’s going to give out. Elizabeth — I may have missed it, but what type of harp do you have that he said would fit?

I gave him the measurements of my concert grand, a LH Style 23. I haven’t had a chance to try it yet, but someone on another harpmobile thread said that she fits her concert grand Venus into a Prius.

I found my perfect harp car: The Subaru Forester (I tried the 2011 model)! It works great for my 85CG. 🙂

olivia-diamond
    Participant

I have a Subaru Forester too, and it is a perfect harp car for me an my Blevinsong 34.

It does fit into the Prius V, quite comfortably, though the space between the wheel wells is exactly the width of the widest part of the harp.

susan-knapp-thomas
    Participant

Has anyone had any experience putting a pedal harp in a Ford Escape?

kreig-kitts

One of the threads discusses a Ford Escape, and I’ve used it as well. For a concert grand you’ll need to remove the back seat bottoms before folding the seat backs down. They pop right out and are lightweight so it’s not a big deal.

If you’re tall, move the front seat up as much as you possibly can and still work the gas and break easily (and safely!). Keeping the driver’s seat back all the way up will help too.

M Rodgers
    Spectator

I know this is an older thread but it is always relevant to someone. I currently have a Subaru Legacy wagon ( they don’t make anymore) and it has been great. I took out the seat part of the back seat so the back rests flat and it is a full time harp mobile. It has 239,000 miles on it though and at 10 years old it is time to think of something else. It does get about 27 mpg and I am having a hard time finding cars that equal that with AWD.

I am looking at the Outback and I think the new Forester has more room now. In 2002 they were narrower than the Outback.

Someone else mentioned a Honda Element earlier in this thread. After my Subie Outback died (head gasket for which there should’ve been a recall since it was a common problem I found out), I bought a Honda Element. It’s the best, most versatile harpmobile! I love it, and I love the car in general. It’s a really nice one. Only sad thing is they aren’t building them after 2012. 🙁

HBrock25
    Participant

The element is good. It’s low to the ground so it’s not a pain to get in the car.

It’s hard to get the harp in the Element and have another person ride along. Today, however, I column loaded with the crown on padding between the front seats. It worked really well. It’s going to be my new MO for loading.

M Rodgers
    Spectator

For the record, the Subaru doesn’t have to die when the head gasket goes. I just had mine changed for the 2nd time ( 240,000 miles) it is far less expensive than a new car…like $1200 vs $23,0000. Minor inconvenience.

The block cracked. The dealer said it was okay because they “treated” the car with some sort of radiator treatment. I drove it — taking it to the dealer for every check-up/oil change. I began to smell coolant. By that time the block had cracked and it was beyond just needing a new head gasket.

Your 15 and 16 are much smaller than my Camac. The Athena is a very tall harp.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 139 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies