harpcolumn

Traveling to China

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Professional Harpists Traveling to China

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    M Rodgers
    Spectator

I’m traveling to China at the end of the month with an orchestra to do a short tour. We will be flying into Shanghai and out of Beijing, playing concerts in between. I have been assured that a harp will be provided for me at each venue. Has anyone done this? Any idea what sort of harps I might end up with? I will be bringing a set of strings and such but if anyone has any suggestions or advice as to what to take or expect, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

carl-swanson
    Participant

Meg- after reading your post I contacted Jessica Zhou, the new principal harpist of the Boston Symphony Orchestra. She was born and raised in China so I thought she would know. Here is the email she sent me:

The best way for her to find out is to ask the presenter. I just went to see a concert couple weeks ago given by the Shanghai Symphony in Worcester, and the harpist was playing on a beautiful Horngacher. Most of the symphony orchestra in Beijing and Shanghai have recently bought new harps from either Lyon and Healy or Salvi. But it’s hard for me to say what kind of harp she will be provided because I don’t know what event or how the concerts are related to organizations in China. The best way to find out is for her to ask the manager and they should be able to provide her with the model and maker of the harp.
    She’s smart to bring her own strings.

M Rodgers
    Spectator

Thanks Carl, I appreciate that.

tony-morosco
    Participant

China is great, and I hope you will have some time to do some sightseeing along the way.

Since the details of your travel will be arranged for you count yourself lucky. China is a bit like the US in that tourism is geared for it’s own citizens first. The Chinese like to visit other parts of China and their tourism industry is focused on that, so unlike many other countries were you can get by, at least in tourist areas, on English, China you really can’t. At least outside of your start and stop cities, and even there you can run into trouble.

And of course the trouble is that even in those cities the places that do cater to the English speaking tourist are either high end places where you are removed from contact with the local Chinese, or tourist traps that are sub par.

On the up side the people are generally very friendly and patient, so if you venture out to non touristy places and just do your

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies