harpcolumn

“Getting to the ‘bottom’ of it!”

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists “Getting to the ‘bottom’ of it!”

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    unknown-user
    Participant

This is rather a personal problem, but I am hoping someone might be able to help solve it. I have developed a sore rash on each side of my buttocks where I sit on my harp bench. Has anyone had this problem? The bench is a good one with a Naugahide covering, and I think that I am either allergic to the dye or the material. I now have to sit on a blanket.For those of you who sit for long hours at the harp, does your posterior give you problems too?

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

Ouch!

I’m wondering if it’s less an allergy and more a…er…air circulation issue.

unknown-user
    Participant

Yes, I have had a similar problem….a rough patch on the back of my leggies at the point where they hit the edge of the seat at the front. I changed to a type of adjustable height chair where you can slightly angle the front down lower than the back and it eases pressure on the front of the legs. It is also fabric and not that vinyl material. I have seen concert pianists with cushions, that are higher at the back than the front, and made of fabric. So, it may be a combination of the fabric, but also that there is a pressure point on your bottom and leggies on the front edge of the seat. When you think about it your legs angle downwards from the chair, but the chair cuts off the circulation by being straight.

Try a regular cushion first.

unknown-user
    Participant

Thanks for your replies. I am pleased to have some people understand the problem. It’s miserable. I will try the suggestions. .

unknown-user
    Participant

I have just received the Sylvia Woods harp centre catalogue, and they have a new chair that is very similar to the one I use – it’s called the adjustrite musicians chair, and it can be adjusted at the front for a slight tilt to ease pressure on the backs of your leggies and botty. It can be adjusted from 15″ to 20″. I actually sit a little higher, at 21″ on a full concert grand, but it’d be okay for folk and semi grand harps, or taller folks than me that do no sit so high!

It looks to have a fabric covering instead of vinyl, and is listed as $169.95 US in their catalogue. It might be worth a look. All chairs are better if you “try before you buy”, but if you find somewhere close that has one similar it be worth a shot.

Mine is a little different, but the same idea (cost a fair amount more than that too!) and works well for me.

Evangeline Williams
    Participant

So using the blanket helps?

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

Rosemary,

“Leggies” “botty”–I love these words!

unknown-user
    Participant

What are hippies?….the things your leggies hang off…

What are armouries?….that things that hang off your shoulderies….

Yes, well, I always get a giggle out of some of your American expressions. Someone from the column (who shall remain nameless to save him embarrrassment) emailed me recently and said he

vince-pierce
    Participant

Oh, no fair! I want to know what embarrassing things people can say…haha

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

Hmmm…I don’t know if Aussie English has the same slang terms as English English, but I do know that you don’t use the word “fanny” in polite company in England.

unknown-user
    Participant

Hi Aubrey,

Yes you have uncovered one of the rude expressions…I remember when I first went to Camden, another Aussie and I went down the main street and there was a shop called the Grasshopper shop advertising “Fanny Packs” in enormous letters on the window. My friend

Evangeline Williams
    Participant

The galoshes other name doesn’t get used much anymore.

rod-anderson
    Participant

I’m intrigued by the galoshes – does that mean Wellington boots (or Wellies, as they are universally known in the UK)?

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

In the U.S., we often call those boots (galoshes/Wellies) “rubbers,” which is also a euphemism for “condoms” here. I believe in the UK and Ireland (don’t know about Australia), “rubbers” are what we call erasers.

An Irish acquaintance of mine was terribly embarrassed when he conducted a meeting here in California.

unknown-user
    Participant

I think Audrey wins for knowing the most rude expressions! Yes, you have the translation for galoshes quite right. And we did used to use that expression for erasers as well (notice how demur I am trying to be!! not working really, when I started all of this naughtiness….sorry Kimmie)(isn’t she a mysterious presence really, sort of like being in the big brother house!)

Yes well, knicker bockers are the knee length trousers. Knickers are undies….

Pissed can be cross or drunk. But bugger is the most mulit purpose word in the Australian vocabulary. It can be someone being naughty, being “a bugger”, it can be telling someone to go away “bugger off” , it can be tired “I’m buggered”, it can be like say oh no! or whoops “owww… bugger” . In fact there is a series of commercials in this part of the world centered around the word. And bumper stickers! Not sure if they would be banned in your part of the world….maybe in the demur south??

Other words that are different. Our biscuits are your cookies, our scones are your biscuits, our jam is your conserve, our jelly is your gello..you just do not have the food thing right…maybe its coz you drive on the wrong side of the road! (tee hee)

My favourite american expression was from a girl from the South, I can’t remember from where exactly, but she used to say things like “I’m fixing to get me a shower” instead of I’m going to have a shower. I loved it to bits! She also had the sweetest accent, like honey!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.