harpcolumn

Have you gone – the OTHER way?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists Have you gone – the OTHER way?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    kay-lister

Seems like most folks start with lever and transition over to pedal or even just start with pedal.

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

Kay,

My experience has been somewhat different.

kay-lister

Jerusha,

What drew you back to lever and why only lever for now?

Kay

sherry-lenox
    Participant

When I began I naively thought that pedal literature must be vastly superior to lever literature.

My turn around came with hearing some of Laura Zaerr’s original music for lever. Upon my first hearing, I realized that lever music can be found in numerous degrees of complexity and execution. I have no reason ever to consider pedal, because if I play for the next 100 years there will still be wonderful things to play and hear on lever.

For all of you who are attending Somerset, Laura will be performing her newest work (I think) at the Friday night concert. The description is wonderful and I’m quite sure it will sound just as terrific. I LOVE LEVER!

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Yes, Laura is a wonderful harpist and a good composer, too. It’s interesting to me that of the 8 harpists who were at Eastman when I was there, 3 of us became seriously interested in lever harp later on.

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

Well, it became a question of having enough time for everything!

kathy-chanik
    Participant

One thing I love about my lever harps is that they’re made from actual hardwoods, like cherry or koa or walnut-where pedal harps are all made from maple.

Leigh Griffith
    Participant

Maple is an
    ‘actual hardwood’. It is harder than both cherry and walnut, I don’t
    know about koa. Of the 13 harps in our ensemble, one is walnut (mine)
    one is cherry and the other 11 are maple. Here in Maine we don’t call
    it ‘rock maple’ for nothing!

Leigh

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Hi, Leigh. I think Kathy means that in a pedal harp, a walnut harp is a maple harp that’s stained to look like walnut, not that maple isn’t an “actual” hardwood itself.

Leigh Griffith
    Participant

Ahhhh!!! I get it. Sorry Kathy! Thank-you Barbara!
    Leigh (backing away and bowing deeply in extreme embarrassment)!

barbara-brundage
    Participant

No problem. Pedal or lever, it’s one of my favorite woods, anyway. I love the beautful quilted maple that dusty and thormahlen get sometimes.

sherry-lenox
    Participant

There’s a beautiful harp on the Blevins site in quilted maple. It was made into a Phoenix, large lap harp, 29 strings and I think a really beautiful design, and the maple is just the cherry on top of the sundae.

kathy-chanik
    Participant

Yes, thank you, Barbara.

I can tell you why I won’t be moving

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

Jennifer,

I can relate to what you’re saying.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies