kreig-kitts

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 505 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Water related pieces #146665
    kreig-kitts
    Member

    Barcarolles also fit a water theme, and there are plenty of those in harp repertoire. The Mendelssohn?

    in reply to: Water related pieces #146662
    kreig-kitts
    Member

    Trnecek’s transcription of Moldau?

    in reply to: Lever Harp Question #71245
    kreig-kitts
    Member

    You’d want to tune it to C with no levers engaged. that will let you play in the keys of C, G (F#), D (F# C#), and A (F# C# G#). Those

    in reply to: 2011 Harp Cars #104056
    kreig-kitts
    Member

    That is a wonderfully entertaining car review.

    in reply to: Arioso Bach transcribed by Yolanda Kondonassis #147221
    kreig-kitts
    Member

    Sherry it is a V-I from one movement to the next.

    I think there are two questions about the final chord for a person hearing the movement on its own, the final chord as a whole, and why the third an fifth of that chord are what you hear more.

    The measure lands on an F major chord, I since the movement is in F, and modulates to a C, the V chord. The C should be held while the F and A go through a little cadence and end up on E and G, making the C major chord.

    The next movement is also in F, so it’s a V-I from one movement to the next. In addition, that movement has a C as the pickup note, which could be why the C in the first movements final chord doesn’t get top honors. The change is more dramatic if the last thing you hear is the shift to E and G with the C in the background.

    in reply to: Arioso Bach transcribed by Yolanda Kondonassis #147219
    kreig-kitts
    Member

    The end chord is designed to lead into the next movement. It’s so often played alone, but hearing it in context you can tell why it ends as it does.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tK1oE_aefmY&t=2m40s

    in reply to: 2011 Harp Cars #104052
    kreig-kitts
    Member

    Prius update: Elsewhere I posted that the new Prius (V) is supposed to be 6 inches longer than the previous model. This would make it a much more viable harp car, though you’d probably want to verify this with a dealer and make sure the harp and driver both fit.

    in reply to: The Nancy Rae Lever Harp #71064
    kreig-kitts
    Member

    My concert grand is previously owned but in excellent condition and it sounds great. It also let me buy my pedal harp outright from savings instead of borrowing. It’s a chore to haul around, however, so in a couple years I might like to add a smaller pedal harp for when I need pedals or want the look and sound but don’t need the range of my CG. If a petite harp is well made and sounds good, and you don’t need 47 strings, a concert grand isn’t better, it’s just bigger. And lifting it into and out of a vehicle in July while wearing formal wear, you appreciate the size differently.

    in reply to: recommendations for CD #71263
    kreig-kitts
    Member

    Park Stickney & Rudiger Oppermann, “Harp Summit”.

    in reply to: who’s been playing my harp? #105335
    kreig-kitts
    Member

    There were some other pieces I ran into like that, I think out of Salzedo’s Tiny Tales. They’re written for lever harp, but in progressively flat keys, for a lever harp tuned in C-flat. For anything with a lot of flats and no lever changes, you should be able to play it in the key a half step higher (D-flat to D, etc.) and read the same page.

    in reply to: New and need help…lever or pedal? #156978
    kreig-kitts
    Member

    For most worship music, a lever harp will do very well. Unless you want to play the canononical (no pun intended) repertoire of sacred music written for harp, there’s a lot out there for lever harp, and lead sheets/fake books increase it a huge amount if your daughter learns to work with them.

    If she might play as part of a church group, the flexibility increases even more since other instruments can take over more to fill in notes she might not have access to or give her time to change levers.

    And aesthetically, while a pedal harp always catches the eyes, in many church sanctuaries the less imposing stature of a folk harp might look better, not to mention give a bit

    in reply to: 2011 Harp Cars #104049
    kreig-kitts
    Member

    Also, the Prius fits a concert grand only if the driver is short. At 6′ with long legs, I cannot fit my harp in a Prius. When I finally got the door closed, the driver’s seat had to be so far up I couldn’t get my right leg across the steering wheel.

    The length was OK, but the hatch wouldn’t close over the base because the inside molding was contacting the leg with about an inch left to close it. Maybe a harp with a different base or legs might work, or maybe the shape of the inside molding of the hatch varies over model years to fit some harps better than others.

    A shame because I love driving a Prius much more than the Element I end up using when I need to move the harp. I’ve submitted feedback to ZipCar that I’d prefer more full size wagons.

    in reply to: Frequently breaking harp strings #157036
    kreig-kitts
    Member

    Are you using gut the whole way up? My second octave is the highest I’ve gone in gut and it breaks the most, so I got a nylon second octave to replace it and will begin changing the octave once my spare gut supply runs low enough.

    in reply to: Question from yet another annoying newbie! #157041
    kreig-kitts
    Member

    Assuming the two strings

    in reply to: Hurricane Irene #147464
    kreig-kitts
    Member

    I was predicting the response of many a Bridezilla to learning her wedding might not be the world’s foremost priority.

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 505 total)