harpcolumn

Water related pieces

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Professional Harpists Water related pieces

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    erin-wood
    Participant

I have been asked to perform in a program with a water theme. They suggested a song called Niagra Falls. What other water related pieces can you think of? La source, obviously. What else?

In searching for material, I found a really cool picture of a harpist submerged under water with a supposedly water proof harp. http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2008/09/17/harp-under-water/

I am surprised that didn’t catch on! I wouldn’t mind having a water proof harp!

erin-wood
    Participant

And by La Source I am thinking of the one by Zabel, Hasselmans , and Vers La Source by Tournier, and I guess Little Fountain could be included too.

kreig-kitts

Trnecek’s transcription of Moldau?

erin-wood
    Participant

The Moldau would be awesome! But I doubt I can learn it quickly enough.

Amber M
    Participant

How about Valse des Ondines by Cecile Corbel?

kreig-kitts

Barcarolles also fit a water theme, and there are plenty of those in harp repertoire. The Mendelssohn?

eliza-morrison
    Participant

It’s a piano piece, but Debussy’s “The Sunken Cathedral” is very watery! Salzedo made a transcription for multiple harps…don’t know if there’s a solo harp transcription out there…

Eileen Monger
    Participant

What about one or more of the ‘Six Pièces’ by Jacques Ibert? They include Matin Sur L’Eau, En Barque Le Soir and Reflects Dans L’Eau, and Ballade sounds like a river, too…..

unknown-user
    Participant

Dialogue with a Brook by Sylvia Woods from her book the Harp of Brandiswheire. It’s really pretty and sounds very watery!

Han Hsieh
    Participant

Echoes of a Waterfall by John Thomas.

http://www.archive.org/details/echoesofwaterfal00thom

erin-wood
    Participant

Wow, thank you for all the fabulous ideas! I think this could turn into a very nice program. It was great to see the link of the archive at BYU! I didn’t realize how many pieces they have archived.

And please don’t forget that soggy old chestnut, “The Mermaid’s Song on the Banks of the River at the Spring in the Forest while Bathing” by Jan Fcedekl, the well-known Fredonian harp master who was Harpo Marx’s teacher in Animal Crackers.

Susan Abken
    Participant

Karl Oberthuer’s “Play of the Waves” is very pretty, with two melodies intertwined, one in the RH and one in the LH. The RH melody is in the thumb. It’s in the album “Wedding Cake” with the green cover.

kreig-kitts

I was in Betty Paret’s Second Harp Book, and happened to see it has a collection of short pieces, “Three Sea Sketches”: “Dolphin in the Waves,” “The Bell Buoy Rings,” and “The White Gull’s Flight.” Pretty and not very difficult.

Misty Harrison
    Participant

Debussy En Bateau transcription and others on Yolanda Kondanassis cd “Pictures of the Floating World” meaning songs about water

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Topics