harpcolumn

who’s been playing my harp?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break who’s been playing my harp?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    deb-l
    Participant

I had every string tuned down a 1/2 step for 7 flats in Barcarolle.

brook-boddie
    Participant

Deb, if it’s the same Barcarolle that you mentioned in another post, you can play it in C major and it will sound completely normal because there are no accidentals.

deb-l
    Participant

thanks Brook I did notice that, and that I could play music written in the key of C when all were tuned flat and that sounded OK too.

deb-l
    Participant

Brook, thanks for mentioning playing Barcarolle in C.

kreig-kitts

There were some other pieces I ran into like that, I think out of Salzedo’s Tiny Tales. They’re written for lever harp, but in progressively flat keys, for a lever harp tuned in C-flat. For anything with a lot of flats and no lever changes, you should be able to play it in the key a half step higher (D-flat to D, etc.) and read the same page.

joyce-schemanske
    Participant

The reason that many pedal harp pieces are written in all flats is because that way you’re playing all all open strings.

deb-l
    Participant

thanks Kreig, that’s a great way to explain it.

michael-rockowitz
    Participant

Deb, I tune my harp daily, and I find that this happens quite often with my Xythia cross-strung as well, particularly with the middle and higher range of strings.

deb-l
    Participant

Michael, I frequently have to tune as well.

e-nb
    Participant

Do you use an electronic tuner? One which can shift the frequency? I use a Korg CA-30 which can shift A from 410 Hz to 480 Hz. I had a similar experience to yours, but my “Fairy” turned out to be a friend of my boyfriend’s who can’t resist any electronic gadget and when left unsupervised for a moment with a beer in his hand had discovered my tuner lying about, switched it on and started messing with all the buttons. I found myself trying to tune with A = 410 next time I used it.

There are definitely such things as fairies, but mine tend to appear in the form of large long-haired beer swilling creatures. Sweet natured, but need to be kept away from button-encrusted gadgets.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies