jessica-wolff

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 602 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: My ‘dream’ harp – or is it a harp mare? #107018
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Deb, just when we thought you’d reached the end of your harp odyssey!

    in reply to: positive attitudes #149256
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    I don’t think it’s too cool of the agent not to mention the bumpy field because he/she knows you would turn down the job if you knew. Any possibility of dumping him/her in favor of another agent? And letting the first agent know why you’re making the change? You would be striking a blow for all harpists employed by this agent.

    Chin up, girl.

    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    I don’t, but I can tell you that walnut is on the dark end, maple on the bright end, and cherry somewhere in the middle. Rosewood–well, what kind of rosewood? My old Mexican guitar is Brazilian rosewood and has a wonderful tone, but Brazilian rosewood has been nearly unobtainable or colossally expensive for the last 40 years or so. East Indian rosewood is the usual substitute nowadays, and it’s second-best.I haven’t heard or played a mahogany harp, but in guitars I found it usually (but not always) a little more on the mellow side than I liked.

    Since your current harp is dark and mellow, you may find it interesting to have a different sort of sound on your next harp. You may like it better for some kinds of music.

    in reply to: Which Set-up for a 22 string Lap Harp? #73250
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    The lowest E on the guitar is pretty low for a 22-string harp. I don’t wonder that you find it slack.

    in reply to: Harp & Guitar #147816
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Harp and lute too, though at moments you don’t know which is playing what.

    in reply to: Heartland Harps – Pros and Cons #155700
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Karen, it looks as if they have dropped the Serenity from their lineup.

    in reply to: Harp Naming #157691
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Nope. I name my cars but not my musical instruments, even though my cars last me only about 12 years or so, while my favorite guitar is over 50 and my harp is over 30 years old.

    in reply to: R Harps–Merlin #155237
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    I was not aware that the tension was supposed to be lower than that on a Dusty Strings or Triplett–I’ve heard it described as “medium.” The thing that strikes me most about the Merlin is that Rick Rubarth himself describes it as “passionate and expressive.” If that’s what you want, this is the harp. I have heard harps that have a perfectly good tone, even from top to bottom, but that left me unmoved. Also, I like the accounting he gives on one of his sites–the one devoted entirely to the Merlin–of what he did and why (struts, fluorocarbon strings, materials, &c).

    in reply to: Harp Naming #157686
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    The cello is a beautiful instrument too and it would be a pity to drop it. My practice time is divided between guitar, harp and banjo.

    in reply to: R Harps–Merlin #155234
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Yes, please do!

    in reply to: Heartland Harps – Pros and Cons #155695
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    I guessed correctly too, and I think the tone of the wooden harp has it over the carbon fibre.

    in reply to: R Harps–Merlin #155232
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    There’s a thread or two on the Merlin right here on Harp Column. In lieu of a search feature, you can probably find them by googling “r harps merlin harp column” or similar. Also, one of Rubarth’s two sites quotes from this forum in “What People Are Saying” or a similar topic. Meko of the International Harp Museum also had high praise for it.

    I also found it disconcertingly small, though at 54″ it is taller than, for example, Hearland Harps’ Sylvan, and I was able to play it sitting on an ordinary chair. That matters to me, because I want a true floor harp that doesn’t require a special support for the harp or for myself. In my case I think it was a question of getting used to it after years of playing on a harp that stands 63″ high. I am still considering eventually getting a Merlin.

    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Wagner may have been a nasty you-know-what, but he potentially gave employment to a lot of harpists. I say potentially, because I believe most orchestras have to make do with two harps covering for six. I imagine that Wagner knew what he was doing when he asked for six. This is really impressive! So is Solti, for that matter.

    in reply to: Warming up . . . the harp? #107529
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Good golly Miss Molly, have they still not learned to make decent levers at L & H? Mine are the original brass levers on Troubadour I, dato pre-1978, and they are real string chewers. I notice that Loreena McKennitt on YouTube videos is playing the same harp I am but has replaced the levers, TG.

    in reply to: R Harps–Merlin #155230
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Just had a brief chance to try one. Everything everyone says about the magnificent bass is true.I found the fluorocarbon strings in the middle took getting used to.

Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 602 total)