harpcolumn

Harp Naming

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists Harp Naming

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Philippa mcauliffe
    Participant

Maybe its the people who name their cars who also name their harps?

jessica-wolff
    Participant

Nope. I name my cars but not my musical instruments, even though my cars last me only about 12 years or so, while my favorite guitar is over 50 and my harp is over 30 years old.

shelby-m
    Participant

I decided not to name my harp.

Michael Harwood
    Participant

Before I picked up the harp I played guitar and bass, and it never occurred to me to name an instrument.

harpglo-jean
    Participant

Yeah, I thought it was silly at first to “name” my harps, but I have to admit it’s easier to identify them that way, especially when there are two of the same brand, and I need my husband to load one in the car…..

adam-b-harris
    Participant

I can understand harp naming for personalization and convenience, but generally when you name a harp you are assigning a gender to it (assuming a non – unisex name) which I find disturbing for some reason.

Zen Sojourner
    Participant

Ditto.

My harp’s name was revealed to me as I watched the phenomenal Erica Goodman perform upon it: Scintillation. Three people have performed Scintillation on my harp: Heidi Lehwalder, Erica Goodman, and me. Pretty good.

tonie-ogimachi
    Participant

As a part-time commercial fisherman, I only name my boats, but not my harps.

Alice Avery
    Participant

Hi,

I have named my harps – my Voyageur is Cecilia (after my deceased mother) and the Prelude 40 is Grace in the

Ian McVoy
    Participant

It connects me to the instrument and sometimes helps me relate to it.

clh-h
    Participant

I heard of this before I bought my harp, so I thought, what the heck; swords have names, so why not harps. So I named my harp in J.R.R. Tolkien’s Elvish: NandelĂ« Nucumna. NandelĂ« just means “little harp” (since it’s only got nineteen strings). The second part of the name is sort of like a title. Nucumna means “humble” (or humbled), NandelĂ« the Humble. I call him that (yeah, I think of my harp as a he not a she) because he’s a mid-east harp and everyone says mid-east harps are rubbish. I prefer to think of them as humble.

Zen Sojourner
    Participant

MANY mideast harps are rubbish.

deb-l
    Participant

the names I give harps never stick.

John McK
    Participant

The only instrument I’ve ever named (which stuck) was a Rickenbacker 330 electric guitar with a quilted maple finish. She was named “Emma.” The rock/metal/pop music playlist in my itunes is now called “Emma’s Favorites.” I sold Emma to fund my first harp, which in hindsight wasn’t a great idea.

For decades I had a bass guitar which I called “the wife” but more as a description than as a personifying name.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies