harpcolumn

My ‘dream’ harp – or is it a harp mare?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break My ‘dream’ harp – or is it a harp mare?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    deb-l
    Participant

I saw an add on Craig’s list that Mark Harwood and Barb Brundage identified as an old Pratt Dauphine (Samuel Pratt).

ruth-harper
    Participant

Dear Deb

Please post some pictures when you are able.

God bless – PTL

Karen Johns
    Participant

Yes, definitely post pics! $400 is a darn good price for any harp, and if it lasts for a few years, why not enjoy it? Was there a reason that the soundboard would come out or the back fall apart? Is it a structural flaw? That’s too bad if that is really what you can expect to happen. I wouldn’t let that discourage you though- I had a lap harp I built from a kit that was still perfectly sound after 20+ years, but then again the soundboard was laminated birch, not spruce. I wonder if there might be a way you can restring it at a slightly lower tension? This might help keep it longer…

Karen

deb-l
    Participant

Ruth and Karen, here’s some pictures, bringing out both the beauty and the challenges this harp has.

deb-l
    Participant

sorry I meant there are horizontal cracks in the soundboard not verticle

deb-l
    Participant

I just noticed the rams head seems to be leaning a little string side, when I looked at it yesterday I didn’t see that.

jessica-wolff
    Participant

Deb, just when we thought you’d reached the end of your harp odyssey!

deb-l
    Participant

make no mistake Jessica, I love my Prelude to death and that’s the harp I play all the time, but I thought this would make a fun harp to take when visiting family and friends or outside when weather is OK.

Karen Johns
    Participant

On the picture of the back of the neck is that a crack? I’m a little worried about the neck- it seems to have a bit of a warp happening, but not sure from the pics if that’s just an optical illusion of sorts. Otherwise for what you spent it looks to be in remarkably good shape. Not fond of those nails/levers though, but I suppose you could switch them out if doing so wouldn’t compromise the strength of the neck. You might want a tech to check it out before you add any bass strings, just to be on the safe side.

Karen

deb-l
    Participant

hey Karen, thanks for your thoughts.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

I think Karen means the area where the wider part of the kneeblock and the neck join up. That concerns me, too, at least based on your photo. It looks like a big split. Do you have another one of that area, Deb?

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Edit: That made it sound like it should be two pieces, but that ought to be one big piece of laminated pin block–no split, no seam, no nothing. Can you take a photo of that area that’s more straight on and not so much in shadow?

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Argh. Meant it ought to look like it’s all one big piece there. Splits in that area aren’t good.

deb-l
    Participant

here’s some close ups..

deb-l
    Participant

I just detensioned it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies