Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
Jerusha Amado
ParticipantI love figured wood on harps also! Any chance you could post a photo of your lever harp?
Jerusha Amado
ParticipantPaul Baker’s arrangement of “What a Wonderful World” for pedal harp. Simply gorgeous!
Jerusha Amado
ParticipantYes, I still have some left to give away in conjunction with a purchase of some of the harp music titles that I’m selling. These harp pieces are in like-new condition (never used) and are being sold at discounted prices. Shipping materials are free, and media mail is a very inexpensive shipping option. Anyone in the U.S. who is interested, please email me at box1orbox4@comcast.net for more details. These items would make great Christmas/Hanukkah gifts!
Jerusha Amado
ParticipantCarl’s new edition of Bochsa’s etudes for pedal harp arrived today, and it’s wonderful! I just wanted to thank Carl for his excellent work and to tell him that I appreciate all that he does for the harp community! Hugs to you, Carl!
Jerusha Amado
ParticipantI just ordered Carl’s new book through Amazon. I can’t wait for it to arrive!
Jerusha Amado
ParticipantDoes anyone own Cindy Kleinstuber Blevins’ book Perceptions? It contains 14 original tunes written in various modes and exotic scales. I would love to know if the songs are upbeat or meditative/ethereal in tone.
Jerusha Amado
ParticipantI think that I have a CD that has “Eternal Dreamer” on it, played by Kirk Kupensky. I need to listen to it again and will pay special attention to that piece.
<<Jerusha- I had forgotten about that. But I’m glad I did it and glad you have enjoyed playing it.>> Thanks, dear. It’s wonderful. I wish that more composers wrote music like it–so transcendent!
Jerusha Amado
ParticipantYes, you sent a copy to me! Thank you for doing that for me!
I am mindful of the ethical need to pay for music rather than using xeroxed copies; however, this particular piece is in the public domain now, if I’m not mistaken.
Jerusha Amado
ParticipantThis is a wonderful thread! I’ve learned so many things from reading the posts on this website!
I just played “Offrande” again on my Salvi semi-grand (long absence since playing this piece). I have a copy of Carl’s copy of this music which has his markings, so I’ve never had any trouble with it. What a glorious piece yet not difficult to play, and it sounded extra beautiful on my Salvi, with its depth of tone and bell-like quality.
Jerusha Amado
ParticipantHi Balfour,
Thank you for the kind compliment! I love playing in art galleries, so I thought that I would put a photo up of that type of venue.
“She Moved Through the Fair” has been a good gig tune for me as well. Most people seem to appreciate its haunting beauty. One memorable occasion in which I was playing it was at an outdoor gourmet farmer’s market a few years ago. A woman stood by me to hear the entire song, and while doing so, she was crying. At the end of the song she gave me a large tip. I don’t know what memories it may have evoked, but she seemed to be feeling grateful, and I hoped that I had helped her somehow.
Jerusha Amado
ParticipantI second Carl’s motion about “Offrande”. It’s a very beautiful piece!
Jerusha Amado
ParticipantThank you, Donna!
Jerusha Amado
ParticipantJust an update: Scanning a ZipTip barcode with a Smart Phone is easy, and paying the tip is not particularly cost prohibitive through PayPal (their payment vehicle) as long as the amount is over $5 but leaving a micropayment of less than $5 is costly and somewhat cumbersome. Normally to send money via PayPal as a personal payment via a credit card, the cost is 2.9% plus 30 cents, but for amounts lower than $5 (which is often what is given as a tip for a musician), PayPal charges 5% plus 5 cents, and their agreement with ZipTip requires that this money cannot be transferred via credit card; it must come through cash that the Payer needs to have available in his PayPal account. If one has cash from a refund that happens to be in his PayPal account at the time that he wants to leave a micropayment as a tip, then the transaction is quick; otherwise, he needs to make a money transfer into his PayPal account from a bank account before he leaves a tip of under $5. My guess is that receiving tips as a musician via ZipTip will most likely not become the wave of the future, at least not unless the tips equal $5 or more.
Jerusha Amado
ParticipantI too helped us to stay off track! My apologies!
Gigging harpists should be mindful of the ages of their clientele and the music that was popular during their time. For example, if one plays for nursing homes, then the music of the 40’s and 50’s would be appealing.
Jerusha
Jerusha Amado
ParticipantI’ve only been asked to play “Stairway” once in 10 years of performing background music. I didn’t happen to have it with me at the time and only knew the first few lines by heart, which normally would be better than nothing but the man who requested it became angry and walked away in a huff when he learned that he wasn’t going to have the entire song performed for him on cue. I’m not a jukebox where you can put in a quarter and get whatever song you want!
-
AuthorPosts