harpcolumn

Advice for new performers

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Performing Advice for new performers

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Gretchen Cover
    Participant

Read Emily Granger’s July 1 blog “50 Things I Learned After Music School”

Emily Granger
    Participant

Thanks Gretchen! I would also have to add – be in touch with the local harp chapter. Let them know you are new/out of school/looking to freelance and they might even have a harpist directory on their website. Get involved with those harpists. Learn from harpists that have been playing the gigs long before you came along. I have a very close harpist friend here in Chicago who has taught me EVERYTHING I know about freelance harping in the city. If there is a particular harpist giving you a lot of work consider sending lots of thank you notes and definitely a nice Christmas/Holiday gift.

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

I too helped us to stay off track! My apologies!

Gigging harpists should be mindful of the ages of their clientele and the music that was popular during their time. For example, if one plays for nursing homes, then the music of the 40’s and 50’s would be appealing.

Jerusha

Elizabeth Webb
    Participant

Great point, Jerusha. At the same time, playing what we think of as timeless standards for younger crowds might not produce the song recognition and response we expect. Over time you learn how to read your audience and adjust the music as needed during the gig. This is why I love playing from a ipad. Very easy to change up the set list at a moment’s notice.

Similarly, playing religious music can either be the best thing and bring tears to people’s eyes or the worst thing and offend people. For a background gig or anything where music choice is loosely defined (think “easy listening” “classical” “love and pop songs” or that oh so clear “mix of whatever sounds good”), I ALWAYS ask the client during the initial consultation if they would like religious songs included, excluded, or if they have no preference. Takes the guess work out of it.

balfour-knight
    Participant

I agree–know what your clientele would like for you to play. That is exactly what Yolanda Kondonassis did this evening at her concert in Rabun Gap, GA. It was super, and we are so fortunate to live only 50 miles from the concert venue! It was great to see Kim and Dani, too!

Best wishes everyone,
    Balfour

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.