harpcolumn

Softer, Slower Show Off Piece

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Repertoire Softer, Slower Show Off Piece

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    brook-boddie
    Participant

I’ve enjoyed the thread on show-off pieces. Just curious–what do you play when asked to play something slow, beautiful, or meditative?

balfour-knight
    Participant

Brook,

I enjoyed that thread, too, and in answer to your question, I like to play the Rachmaninoff 18th Variation on a Theme by Paganini. I adapted the original piano score for harp, and I play it on pedal harp very much like the original, except in D instead of D Flat. An arrangement of it by me and Angi Bemiss, for lever harp, appears in CLASSICAL SELECTIONS, Book Two, published by Simply the Harp in Atlanta. I usually follow this selection by adding the Theme from the movie SOMEWHERE IN TIME, since both pieces were used in the movie. Incidentally, the popular theme can be found in UNFORGETTABLE THEATRE TREASURES, Book One, also arranged for lever harp by me and Angi. Be looking for new arrangements from Simply the Harp coming soon!

With my best wishes,
    Balfour

Sid Humphreys
    Participant

I like Salzedo’s arrangement of the Adagio from Moonlight Sonata. Very unexpected on the harp!

Emily Granger
    Participant

Good question! These would be the ones in my repertoire that I would pull out –
    Debussy’s The Little Shepard from Children’s Corner Suite
    Francisque Pavane from Courante, Pavane and Bransles
    Britten Ceremony of Carols Interlude
    McDonald’s arrangement of Greensleeves

balfour-knight
    Participant

Sid & Emily, I love all of your suggestions, too! Particularly the Moonlight Sonata–I drool over it on the pedal harp. The tones can just ring out on the harp like Beethoven intended, with very little hand damping. His piano did not have the long sustain of the modern grand piano, so I feel like the harp makes it sound more like Beethoven’s piano would have sounded. (There is an indication on Beethoven’s piano score that means “play without dampers” which is impossible on the modern piano. It gets way too “muddy” right away, for my taste, but not too muddy on the harp!)

Emily, The Little Shepherd and Greensleeves (What Child Is This?) always find their way onto my Christmas concerts! They are absolutely beautiful on the harp!

Have a great day, all of you!
    Balfour

Gretchen Cover
    Participant

When You Wish Upon a Star, arr. Michael Rado.

Autumn Moon, Frank Voltz (lever/pedal harp, intermediate level)

balfour-knight
    Participant

I, too, have had great luck with “When You Wish Upon a Star.” At one of our concerts where there was a good group of children, we had them come up to get a close look at the pedal harp and had a “childrens’ time.” I played “When You Wish Upon a Star” with all the pedal changes, so the children could see what a harpist has to do–they were amazed! After that concert, the local high-school principal came up and said that his favorite part of the concert was the “Disney Star piece.”

I also thought of “Claire de Lune” and “Some Enchanted Evening” as good slow, show-off pieces. The original “Fur Elise” by Beethoven works well on pedal harp, too, although not what I would really consider a “slow” piece. It usually gets comments like “I didn’t know that piece could be played on the harp!”

Happy Harping, Friends!
    Balfour

Bach-Grandjany Etude 3 … Just learnt this recently. It’s slow but emotionally very powerful, and has some lovely big chords!

Something by Mendelssohn

brook-boddie
    Participant

Great suggestions! I’m working on pieces from Andres’ “Ribambelle” collection. I’ve found that Angi Bemiss has some beautiful arrangements of slower pieces. Oh, and Rhett Barnwell also. His slower pieces are beautiful. My favorite of his to play right now is “Oh the Beautiful Treasures.”

sherry-lenox
    Participant

Totally unsolicited, but don’t you have a piece that works in this category Brook?
    Having listened to it on YouTube, it certainly sounds like a beautifully reflective, meditative piece to me.

balfour-knight
    Participant

Sherry, a “little bird” told me that Brook’s piece will soon appear in a new publication by Angi Bemiss, Simply the Harp in Atlanta! Shhhhhh——–

carl-swanson
    Participant

Tournier wrote two pieces that are drop-dead gorgeous. One is called Offrande, and it’s not terribly difficult. The other is called The Eternal Dreamer, and is from his collection of Images called Au Hasard des Ondes. It’s more difficult technically and is a mine field of delicate nuance, but it’s really worth the effort.

brook-boddie
    Participant

Hi Sherry,

I hesitate to even mention it, because it’s definitely not in the category of the other pieces listed here, but you may be referring to my piece “Upon the Willows.” This is definitely not a shameless promotion of the piece. 🙂 And, yes, Balfour’s right. It’s included in a slightly simplified version in Angi Bemiss’s new book “The Music of Friends, Volume 2.” The original version is still being printed by Seraphim Music, and I think it’s available from the larger music dealers. Thank you for your kind comments about the piece!

Dani Bash
    Participant

I love, love, love Daniel Burton’s arrangement of The Swan. It doesn’t have the running sixteenth notes, but it is still very effective, and easy. I learned it by request for a wedding processional and now I play it all the time!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies