harpcolumn

Thoughts? 44 string pedal not having low E, D, C

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Thoughts? 44 string pedal not having low E, D, C

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 69 total)
  • Author
    Carol Freshour
    Participant

I have a tangential question relating to the earlier part of this discussion. If the issue with re-stringing up or down relates just to the pedal mechanism, does that mean you could do it on a lever harp as long as you were respectful of the string thickness, etc. and only went up or down by one note or so? I’m asking because I currently have a 34-string harp, and a favorite hobby is looking at fancier and/or bigger models for ‘someday’ (so, 38- or 40 string). But they generally seem to start in the same place at the lower end (6th octave C) as my current harp. Getting more lower notes would be more of a goal for me than getting more tippy-top high notes. Thanks for any thoughts, and Yes/No is enough of an answer (I don’t mean to divert the primary topic here)!

Biagio
    Participant

Hi Carol,

The short answer is “Yes within reason.” You may have to replace some other strings to keep the action and tension where they are designed to be. Some levers might also have to change.

One example: I decided to drop the range on my 34 string two steps. So now the lowest note is an A rather than C. Contact your harp maker and a string maker to work out what is most feasible.

Biagio

duckspeaks
    Participant

Dear Karen, apology on clumsy typing on mobile phone. I have given up the clio idea. Too many important notes with discs.

I went for a 47 string of 175ish cm tall and accept the weight and size. I dont travel with my instrument at all. I am short but I dont want to be ever again seeing the harp as lacking something. Pls consider the possible displeasure that you have the low notes but cant change the note on the fly ….. annd some how a future piece of music reguires it…..

In lever harps, I like levers on every string (L&H Prelude was ousted as a choice) I think for pedal, especialky if one desires a smaller one, should think harder on the capabilities of the additional notes one aspires for. I once changed from34 to 40 feeling I am harmically incomplete without Bs. Now I dont want to repeat that feeling again. For the unavoiable lack of disc true for every full sized harp, it is a given and I dont care aboit the 00 octave nor the lowest C or D.

karen
    Participant

Duckspeaks….what did you end up getting?

duckspeaks
    Participant

Dear Karen,

I believe somebody may still find this informative.

I ended up with a Salvi Daphne SE. Smallish but not small enough. Very heavy esp when I am accustomed to Camac lever harps. I am 100% appreciative of the Camac features like cables, DIY adjustments, better radial spread of the high notes to ease hand position and light weight. The non use of felt makes every sense. The fact that rod are used means bad engineering. Metal is hard to break when pulled but easy to break when pushed. Camac is doing a good job in mechanical engineering

Missing the lowest 3 disc is tOo much. I also tried the camac athena and cannot manhandle such a large object 185ish cm tall. I am way too short!! Having sort of tried US and French ones, part of me wants to try Italian, just once! May be because it is not made to be not light in weight, the low notes sound clear to my ears for for a lower cost instrument. This matters a lot!

Best regards

Andelin
    Participant

Karen,

I can completely relate with you on the ‘goldilocks’ comment! I may be buying a pedal harp later this year, so I’m trying to learn what to look for. I am not a very big person (5’3″) so size will factor in. I drive a suburban, which is high off the ground, so weight is a factor. (Someday when the kids are grown I will get a better car for moving harps!)

Then there’s the aesthetic factor–you must love how your harp looks! But they are all beautiful, so even one not in your preferred color or style is easy to get used to.

But the #1 factor, for me, must be sound (assuming it will fit in the vehicle). My husband recently called me a “Sound snob” because whether pianos, violins or harps, I am picky. I know what I want, or more precisely, I know what I don’t want. I am just holding on to the thought that when I go to pick out a harp, I will find one that will stand out in every category. ;). It’s ok to dream, right? There must be a perfect harp for me out there. :). And Karen, there’s a perfect harp out there for you too!

karen
    Participant

Andelin….we are the same size (well, I like say I am 5 3 1/2″!) I drive a Subaru CrossTrek (like an Outback but a bit shorter), and it is a great car for loading and unloading a harp. I measured and it seems I could go as much as 73″ in height) However, I am still the size I am, and there are times when my husband is away on business travel, and I really will need to be self-sufficient. I take my harp to HarpCircle once a month and to my recitals twice a year so I need to be able to move it. Others in my HarpCircle have concert grands and as ‘amateur harpists’ they find them challenging to move. Then there is the fear of damaging the harp in some way.

Sound snob is good. I am a ‘yoga snob’ (very picky about where I take classes and who the teachers are—so I get it!). Knowing what you don’t like is not pessimistic, it offers you a LOT of information about your choice!

I am also a “wood snob”. I am a sucker for beautiful, figured wood (you should see the lever harp that I have!). However, pedal harps (at least not in my price range) do not come quite the same in that regard as lever harps. But, I agree with you….I must love the way it looks.

Yes! Our harps are out there somewhere….enjoy the process!

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

I love figured wood on harps also! Any chance you could post a photo of your lever harp?

They tested a Subaru Crosstrek in the Sept/Oct 2014 issue of HarpColumn and found it didn’t fit a concert grand. There is still hope for a semi-grand, though!

You see an occasional figured wood harp out there. Atlanta Harp Center currently has 2, a birds-eye maple and a really cool looking lacewood. Of course, these are both full-sized harps. If you pick out a harp in a large showroom, there’s a chance one has details you like.

By the way, if you are a yoga enthusiast, I wouldn’t worry too much about moving your harp. It’s not about heavy lifting, but about finding the balance point for your harp and your body. Except maybe stairs. I still haven’t figured out stairs…

Tacye
    Participant

The trick for stairs is making sure your thigh muscles do all the work. If you are standing upright trying to pull the harp up your legs have nothing to do, and are the strongest muscles around. Step another step or two upwards with bent legs and then straighten them, leaning slightly backwards. Try with the trolley without harp, or with just a sack of concrete first.

karen
    Participant

Alyson–Yes, I’ve practiced yoga seriously for over 20 years. If I had had as much time on my harp as I have had on my yoga mat, I’d be ready for Carnegie Hall! Alas, that is not the case! I was at Harp LA yesterday, and really loved the L&H 85E. After measuring, it was too close to call, so Paul Baker actually ‘suited up’ the harp, and put it in the back of my Subaru CrossTrek. Yes, the 85E Concertino Grand (71″) DOES fit. The 85CG (2.5 inches taller) will not. One more piece of very solid information in my quest. I’ve ruled out the Clio at this point. The 85E is a LOT of harp for my 5’3″ self. But, it was quite lovely, balanced tone, so clear at the top, very nice bass–very even. The string touch was the best I’ve touched other than my harp teacher’s 100 (which plays ‘like butter’)….she just has a special one! Thanks Alyson!

karen
    Participant

Jerusha—what is your email address? I’ll send you some pics. Don’t see a way to attach them here.

balfour-knight
    Participant

Karen,

The 85 Concertino 47-string harp is a nice harp. I chose the 85 GP over the Concertino because the GP was a bit smaller and more resonant because of its lighter weight and construction, plus the string spacing is a bit more narrow which suits my small fingers. The GP weighs 69 lbs. and is 69 inches tall, and it loads real well in our 2015 Subaru Forester. There would be enough extra room for the Concertino in our car, too, so I think that would be a really good choice for you. There are the usual two lowest notes, C and D, without discs, plus the highest G without them, which is pretty standard on all harps. Some have the discs on the highest G, like the L&H 23.

In answer to your question, yes, there are 42 strings out of the 44 that have discs on my GP. That was the main reason that I chose this harp over the Camac Clio. There was a beautiful Camac Atlantide there when I purchased my L&H, but it was very large and expensive! I am just 5′ 6″, so I can sympathize with all of you who are small. I also agree with Gretchen about the extended soundboard being a great feature when you choose a harp.

Tacye, great advice about moving the harp up and down stairs! I have the 6-wheeled cart for moving my harp, and it climbs stairs beautifully.

Carl, thanks for the great explanation about the rods being in the different order than the pedals. We all have learned a lot from this thread!

Thanks everyone, and have a great day!
    Balfour

karen
    Participant

Thanks to each of you that took the time to respond and have this “conversation” with me. I thought I’d come full circle, and let you all know that I am opting for a 47 string harp rather than the 44. The L&H 85E Concertino Grand is 71″ tall so it fits in my car, and the particular one that I played was exquisite, and reminded me a lot of my teacher’s beloved 100. The 85E is a bit more harp than I was planning on, but it feels right.
    Thanks again!
    Btw, I just listed my Pratt Chamber Harp (truly a beauty with amazing sound) in the HC Classifieds.

Gretchen Cover
    Participant

Congrats on the new harp and thank you for letting everyone know! PS/ Consider keeping your lever harp unless you need to sell it to help pay for the concert grand. Your Pratt harp is gorgeous – I saw the ad.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 69 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.