Jerusha Amado

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 973 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Tips for playing 3 against 2 #209004
    Jerusha Amado
    Participant

    Hi Kathy!

    It’s good to see you on harpcolumn.com!

    in reply to: A pedal harp that sounds like most like a celtic?? #208802
    Jerusha Amado
    Participant

    It isn’t easy to find a pedal harp with light tension, strung with lever gut type strings. One company that rebuilds old harps using light tension stringing is H Bryan and Company. http://www.oldharpsmadeyoung.com/single-post/2014/09/26/String-and-String-Tension

    • This reply was modified 9 years, 2 months ago by Jerusha Amado.
    in reply to: New recording I did. #208725
    Jerusha Amado
    Participant

    Very nicely played, Basel! Thank you for sharing!

    in reply to: Clair de Lune #200462
    Jerusha Amado
    Participant

    Thanks, Gretchen, for your help!  I also play pedal harp, so having an arrangement that works for both lever and pedal would be ideal!

    in reply to: Clair de Lune #200459
    Jerusha Amado
    Participant

    Hi Gretchen,

    What level of difficulty is Coeur’s arrangement–  intermediate, upper intermediate or advanced?

    in reply to: Possible purchase #198178
    Jerusha Amado
    Participant

    It’s nice reading this thread and seeing how caring and helpful our harp community is!  It’s also great to read the remarks of two good friends—Balfour and Brook!

    I’m in agreement with Balfour concerning the desired sound of a lever harp.  A bright tone with medium tension is wonderful, particularly for playing professionally because the lighter tension gives my fingers a vacation from my pedal harp and the bright sound also carries better without amplification, better than a gut-strung lever that sounds like a pedal harp.  I really love the sound of a Dusty harp.  It’s almost ethereal in its quality, and so even in tone.  My particular harp is a Dusty 36S in maple.  It has a bright tone but some warmth underneath, which is unusual for their maple harps.  Brook sold me this harp, and I am forever grateful to him!

    in reply to: Playing dinner music #195989
    Jerusha Amado
    Participant

    Hi Sylvia and all,

    I play a regular two hour Sunday brunch (lever harp, a variety of genres).  I tend to group songs together by key/mood created, so there’s quite a bit of flow, but I do have to stop if I’m playing a difficult jazz piece in order to set levers beforehand.  I’ve noticed that when I do this, folks in the audience start to applaud.  They may be seeing this as an opportunity to express their appreciation of the music they’ve heard up to that point.  I agree with Balfour and you that a pretty constant stream of music is desired, but a few very short breaks can be a good thing as well!

    in reply to: new pedal harp string brand–Premiere #195126
    Jerusha Amado
    Participant

    Hi Michael,

    Are the Premiere strings heavier or thinner in gauge as compared to Bow Brand?  I too would like to know more about their effect on soundboard tension.

    in reply to: Premier string update #195058
    Jerusha Amado
    Participant

    Hi Balfour,

    Yes it does!  Thank you so much for your help!

    in reply to: new pedal harp string brand–Premiere #195032
    Jerusha Amado
    Participant

    Thank you Michael (and John) for your input!

    in reply to: Do you name your harp? #194866
    Jerusha Amado
    Participant

    Hi all!

    The first harp that I named was a wonderful Salzedo with a beautiful voice.  I named him “Barnabas” which means “son of consolation”.  My current pedal harp, a Salvi semi-grand, is named “Theodora” which means “gift from God” and my Dusty Strings 36S is named “Gabriel” which signifies “God is my strength”, although I had the archangel Gabriel in mind when I named him.

    in reply to: Bach fugues for the harp? #194407
    Jerusha Amado
    Participant

    Balfour,

    I am so impressed with the fact that you designed and built your own harpsichord! Do you still own/play it?

    Carl,

    Congratulations on your new work that will soon be released!

    Jerusha

    in reply to: Short-notice event #194183
    Jerusha Amado
    Participant

    Hi Sylvia,

    Just thinking about my own wedding (many moons ago)…I remember paying the musicians double their fee when the wedding was over. They were thrilled. My husband and I didn’t have much money then, and I couldn’t read music or even play an instrument at the time, but fortunately I understood the importance of having beautiful live music at milestone events in one’s life.

    in reply to: Short-notice event #194182
    Jerusha Amado
    Participant

    Hi Balfour,

    That’s a wonderful story! Have a happy, blessed Easter!

    Jerusha

    in reply to: Short-notice event #194163
    Jerusha Amado
    Participant

    Hi Sylvia,

    Yes, I sometimes get events on very short notice, but not weddings, as I only do non-wedding gigs. I just recently was asked to play for a Sunday brunch for an assisted-living place that needed a harpist in a hurry. Like yours, my event turned out very well! I’m glad that you received extra pay and many compliments! That’s wonderful to hear.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 973 total)