harpcolumn

Softer, Slower Show Off Piece

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Repertoire Softer, Slower Show Off Piece

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    balfour-knight
    Participant

Dani, how interesting that you mentioned “The Swan.” One of Angi Bemiss’s new publications is a very simple arrangement that I did for her of that piece. It is called “Essence of Swan,” and it requires no sharping levers so that harp hobbyists and beginners can also enjoy playing it! It can be played on just about any harp, too, even a small lap harp if you adjust the range a bit. The arrangement comes in the key of C and also in E flat. (Simply the Harp)

Also, I have several Daniel Burton arrangements that I love, too!

Thanks everyone,
    Balfour

sherry-lenox
    Participant

I’ve said this here before- in fact I say it all the time.
    Msic is going faster and faster and faster, to a point of absolute ridiculousness.
    As musicians we’ve bought the myth that technique is God, and technique is demonstrated by the fastest fingers, the fastest voices, the fastest lips and tongues. If it’s reallyreallyreally REALLY FAST, IT’s good and right.
    Well I’m not buying it.
    I went to YouTube the other day in search of a charming little piece by Jan Berger called “It Is Good To Be Merry”.
    I wanted to check a question in the harmony as I remembered it from singing it 117 years ago in college.
    The 3 available versions were at about the same tempo, about 195 beats to the minute.
    Forget the harmonic changes, I couldn’t even discern the words.
    And I feel the same way about harp music. I’ll NEVER have speed. So I can’t play a slow piece sensitively and beautifully?
    I DISAGREE. It’s wonderful to be able to play ALL of Tournier, but after 55 years of studying musical interpretation and taste, I’ll offer my baby Tournier with pride. And your piece as well, Brook.

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

I second Carl’s motion about “Offrande”. It’s a very beautiful piece!

balfour-knight
    Participant

Hi, all!

Jerusha, I love that new photo of you on your profile! I also love the “Offrande” and “The Eternal Dreamer.” Tournier’s music is so Impressionistic and reminds me of Debussy’s. Too bad Debussy did not write for the harp like he did for the piano!

There are some nice slow pieces by Henriette Renie, including the “Tale of Christmas” and other not-so-difficult works that are worth examining. I always get good comments from the audience after playing Renie.

Thinking of good slow pieces for a Celtic harp concert–O Carolan’s “The Clergy’s Lamentation,” and the beautiful Irish tune “She Moved Through the Fair” have worked well for me. Going back to the “fast show-off piece,” give O Carolan’s Concerto a try! Audiences LOVE it!

Cheers to all of you,
    Balfour

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

Hi Balfour,

Thank you for the kind compliment! I love playing in art galleries, so I thought that I would put a photo up of that type of venue.

“She Moved Through the Fair” has been a good gig tune for me as well. Most people seem to appreciate its haunting beauty. One memorable occasion in which I was playing it was at an outdoor gourmet farmer’s market a few years ago. A woman stood by me to hear the entire song, and while doing so, she was crying. At the end of the song she gave me a large tip. I don’t know what memories it may have evoked, but she seemed to be feeling grateful, and I hoped that I had helped her somehow.

Andelin
    Participant

I feel the same way about fast music–I’m just not as good at it. It doesn’t have to be fast to be impressive and beautiful.

Which, if any, of these lovely pieces would be nice on lever harp? (I find a lot of classical music sounds watered down, either because they think lever harp players are beginners, or they have to allow for lever changes in the left hand.)
    Thanks.

balfour-knight
    Participant

Hi, Andelin,

Most of the selections I have mentioned on this thread are playable on lever harp, depending on the skill of the performer, of course! Exclude the Moonlight Sonata (unless you have an excerpt from the first movement) and the Tournier.

Renie’s “Tale of Christmas” (Conte de Noel) is particularly lovely on my Large Gothic lever harp, and you can just do the final descending glissando on the G Major scale instead of the G 6 pedal setting (notes G-A-B-D-E) that she specified in the score. That is the only place where a pedal harp would be needed to make the piece authentic, except that I change the key of the piece from G flat to G on lever harp.

All of Brook’s, my and Angi Bemiss’s arrangements are also for lever harp, and require minimum lever changes. (Of course, they can be played on a pedal harp, too.)

I hope this helps.

Warmly,
    Balfour

Gretchen Cover
    Participant

Andelin, two excellent books of arrangements not “watered down” for lever harp are Barbara Brundage’s Classics on Requests, Vol. 1 and 2. The arrangements sound very close to the original score. Included in Vol. 2 are the show-off pieces Moonlight Sonata (Adagio) and Themes from “Schederazade.”

For overseas harpists, both books are available as a PDF from http://www.folkharp.com. No shipping or duty costs. A lot of music at that site is available in PDF format.

balfour-knight
    Participant

Wow, Gretchen, the Adagio from the Moonlight Sonata for lever harp? How true to the original is it, if I may ask?

Gretchen Cover
    Participant

Moonlight Sonata in Barbara Brundage’s Classics on Request Vol. 2 is fairly close to the transcription by Carlos Salzedo. The lever harp version is in F rather than the Salzedo Eb. The piece does not have many lever changes. I would rate it as intermediate level.

balfour-knight
    Participant

Hi, Gretchen,

Thanks for that information. I think the Moonlight would sound very nice in D minor, and the lever harp would need to be tuned in F with B flats, or even in E flat with three flats if they are needed in the piece. I cannot remember if Barbara B. was a “Key of C” lever harpist, or a “Key of E flat” aficionado.

The version I have for pedal harp was transcribed by John Thomas and is published by Salvi. It is in C minor, three flats.

Speaking of Tournier, his “Soupir” (the sigh) which is paired with “Offrande” seems to be quite playable on the lever harp. It is in E flat, and there seems to be enough time to change levers while the left hand is not playing. My lever harps are tuned in C, so maybe someone could try this out on a harp tuned in E flat and let us know how well it works! It is quite lovely, Andelin, and you might like to look it up.

Best wishes,
    Balfour

Gretchen Cover
    Participant

Whoops, got my keys wrong for Moonlight Sonata(s). Just looked at the key signature without thinking further.

balfour-knight
    Participant

Not to worry, Gretchen, I do that regularly myself! I once accompanied a soprano on the Malotte “Lord’s Prayer” who specified that she wanted it in D flat minor! Not only is there no such key, but it is in a Major key! She finally settled on B flat Major, ha, ha!

Hope all of you are having a great day!
    Balfour

Automne by Marcel Grandjany works beautifully in many situations. You might also use Priere by Alphonse Hasselmans.

balfour-knight
    Participant

Add to this thread Leon Boellmann’s “Priere a Notre-Dame” from SUITE GOTHIQUE. It is not easy on pedal harp, but is well worth the effort!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.