Jerusha Amado

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 973 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: tips: apropos or passe? #188381
    Jerusha Amado
    Participant

    Over the last few days I’ve been investigating a mobile app called ZipTip that allows folks with a Smart Phone and a PayPal account to give tips electronically. Does anyone have any experience with this app?

    in reply to: tips: apropos or passe? #188311
    Jerusha Amado
    Participant

    Hi Alyson,

    I wonder if young people in general don’t carry small bills, only debit cards. Maybe some of our younger harpists (20’s-40’s) could weigh in on this point. And I too have noticed some people leaving my area quickly when they spot my tip jar. Concerning your idea of a message on a sign for outdoor venues, I personally like it. Maybe you could add “but appreciated” to the end of the first sentence so that folks know that you would like them to consider tipping you.

    In my typical venue–mid-range or high end art galleries–a sign on the jar or near it would most likely be vetoed by the gallery owner as being too solicitous.

    in reply to: tips: apropos or passe? #188307
    Jerusha Amado
    Participant

    I usually have some cash in my purse wherever I go. Most people I know who are my age (50’s) do. I’m not entirely sure what the younger generations are doing. I have noticed that people in their 50’s and older and the very young (at the urging of their grandparents) tip me. Folks in the middle of these two ranges do not. So there may be an age/generational factor in all of this. I also think that it’s possible that people have not been taught to tip others for special services rendered. When I was young my family instructed me on how to tip others in a wide range of professions to show appreciation for their help to me. Perhaps this element of etiquette is lost to some in our current age of self-absorption.

    in reply to: tips: apropos or passe? #188174
    Jerusha Amado
    Participant

    Thanks to all for responding!

    Emily, I usually put a few one dollar bills in the jar before the gig starts, and if the jar gets too full I take most of the money out of it because otherwise I won’t receive any more tips. I suspect that people assume that I don’t need any more money if the jar is nearly full, which is not true, as rates for an hour of background music have dropped significantly in my area since the recession hit but costs for strings/music etc. have increased. One thing that I’ve noticed is some patrons seem to make an effort to steer clear of me once they see the tip jar. My guess is that they don’t want to feel obligated to tip me. Worse than this, though, is when someone asks for a request and then doesn’t tip me after I play his/her song.

    in reply to: Airport Busking? #188141
    Jerusha Amado
    Participant

    Hi Madeline,

    I tried playing at our local airport one time. It was a very interesting experience! I played near one of the terminals where folks were waiting for their loved ones to arrive. I received a number of wonderful compliments, mainly for the calming nature of the music I was playing and also for the eclecticism of my music. (I play pop, light jazz, light classical, traditional and Contemporary Gospel music–something for almost everyone!) One memorable aspect of the event was that I remember being very much “in the zone” while playing and therefore was able to play with a lot of feeling and with virtually no small errors, which was wonderful for me.

    in reply to: Good and Bad Days #186873
    Jerusha Amado
    Participant

    Everyone has posted wonderful ideas on this thread!

    One technique that is especially helpful when I’m struggling with difficult pieces is to take small “brain breaks”, usually 10-30 minutes, where I work on easy aspects of the harp or do something totally unrelated. I’ve found that it gives my brain the opportunity to process complex input as opposed to overloading it with too much information. And if I find that I’m suddenly “spinning my wheels” with minimal or no progress, I put the piece aside for a few days. Inevitably I find that my brain continues to work on the problems and solves them so that when I return to the piece it is almost as if I had been physically working on it all along!

    Jerusha

    in reply to: Favorite books for 22-string lap harp? #185434
    Jerusha Amado
    Participant

    Hi Nadia,

    Harper Tasche has written a book of traditional tunes for a 22 string harp or larger entitled, A Lap Harp Standing Tall. Go to http://www.harpcrossing.com for more information.

    Jerusha

    in reply to: Parents videoing #185395
    Jerusha Amado
    Participant

    Tayce asked about parents sitting in on lessons. Some parents insist on doing so if their children are underage.

    in reply to: Hello . #144348
    Jerusha Amado
    Participant

    Basel,

    Just know that we love you and will continue to pray for you throughout this ordeal.

    Jerusha

    in reply to: notifications #142385
    Jerusha Amado
    Participant

    The same thing is happening to me!

    in reply to: Another kind of wedding #140996
    Jerusha Amado
    Participant

    Hi Briggs,
    I’m so glad to hear that you’re o.k. health-wise! And am thrilled for you that you had the opportunity to attend L&H’s anniversary! I would have loved to have been there!
    What instrument does your duo partner play, and what type of music do you two perform? Sounds exciting to me!

    in reply to: Fantasy Harp #113669
    Jerusha Amado
    Participant

    Mia, I can see why this is your dream harp–so gorgeous!

    in reply to: Fantasy Harp #113667
    Jerusha Amado
    Participant

    Sid, that sounds so beautiful! (I used to own a Salzedo and adore its design.) Have you ever sketched out what your concept would look like, and if so, I wonder if L&H would be interested in it?

    in reply to: Another kind of wedding #62883
    Jerusha Amado
    Participant

    Briggs! So nice to see you here again! How have you been?

    in reply to: Fantasy Harp #113659
    Jerusha Amado
    Participant

    $100,000! I had no idea!

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 973 total)