harpcolumn

Premier string update

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Premier string update

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Gretchen Cover
    Participant

I put Premier strings on one harp in late November, late December for the other harp. Both are concert grands. The harps are used a lot. So far only one 1st octave C has broken. I am working on a recording now and the sound quality is night and day difference – to the point we re-recorded one piece on the album because the sound quality was so much better. Needless to say, I have been more than pleased with the Premier strings available from Virginia and Atlanta Harp Centers.

balfour-knight
    Participant

Thanks, Gretchen, for the string update. I was just wondering how your new Premiers are doing! I will definitely remember this when it is time to restring my L&H pedal harp. So far, only one new gut string (the 2nd-octave E) has broken since Tom Bell put that octave of new strings on for me when he regulated my harp last May. I am not sure what kind of strings he uses, but I assumed they were Bow Brand. My first octave is Artist Nylon, and none of them have broken. Are yours gut in that first octave?

Best wishes,
    Balfour

Gretchen Cover
    Participant

I have gut on all octaves. You must have lucked out and gotten a good batch of strings.

balfour-knight
    Participant

Yes, Gretchen, the “new” strings that I put on before my harp regulation were several years old. Tom thought the upper ones in the 2nd octave could be “improved on” so he put those new ones on for me, and so far they have been great except for that highest E that just broke. I replaced it with another “old” string I had, and so far it is doing well. Only time will tell, I must say!

Has anyone else had experience with the new Premier strings?

Happy Harping,
    Balfour

balfour-knight
    Participant

Jerusha, here is the other thread about these strings.  I hope this helps.

Hugs,

Balfour

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

Hi Balfour,

Yes it does!  Thank you so much for your help!

Gretchen Cover
    Participant

While we are on the subject, be careful about mixing Premier strings with Bow.   You could get away with perhaps replacing the top octaves or maybe lower ones.  In other words, replacing a section of strings might work.  It also depends on how picky you are.  I will add that Bow strings sounded so dead at six months, I had to replace them.  Time will tell with the Premier.  I had always used Vanderbilt gut until they stopped carrying their strings about 4-5 years ago.  Many harpists used them.  As said before, I am sorry that Bow is having problems, but I cannot let it become my problem, either.

As far as breakage, 3 1st octave Premier strings broken since replacing the strings late November and late December.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies