Gretchen Cover

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 866 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Piezo microphone pick ups for lever harp #233552

    Nancy, you may want to go to the Dusty Strings website and look at the external jack clip http://www.dustystrings.com. It clamps on the back of the harp. That way you do not need to drill a hole in the harp if you install an internal pick up mic. Personally, I would not drill a hole in the base of a Prelude or any pedal harp. Where you want the jack to go and where a buyer wants it could be very different and therefore, adversely affect your harp’s resale value.

    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    in reply to: Mikel Celtic / Mikel Harps Review #233409

    A few harpists have been happy with Mikel harps but the majority of harpists writing about their experience with the company sing your sad tune. I’m sorry you got burned. You are to be commended for saying so and being candid about your experience as a cautionary warning to other would-be buyers.

    in reply to: Beginner Christmas Music for Harp #233168

    Cindy Blevins www,blevinsmusic.com

    in reply to: My First Wedding #231985

    Molly, I presume you are playing a pedal harp? Are you taking lessons? If so, I would simply play glissando from Great Day for the postlude. Your teacher could guide you. You can play glissando on a lever harp, too, if you look at the last page of The Little Fountain by Samuel Pratt. Also, I strongly encourage you to record yourself on your phone as you practice. The music you play can be very simple but it must be played well to be effective. Use the voice memo on your phone to record. What I hear when I play and what I hear on a recording are often very different:). I call recording my truth machine,

    in reply to: How to play four finger chords evenly #230828

    Carl,

    This is an impressive collection! Is there a reason why you did not include Soupir? I played Promenade with a bassoonist recently. Yes, the notes were easy for that piece and 90% of our work was in the phrasing and musicality. We spent a lot of time working on details. I am working on Nocturne after Christmas.

    in reply to: How to play four finger chords evenly #230815

    Carl, how exciting you are publishing a Tournier compilation. Any new music or are these already published pieces? Any other hints as to the content?

    in reply to: Children's Suites/Lullaby/Collections #230397

    Short Stories in Music for Young Harpists, first and second series, by Carlos Salzedo.

    in reply to: Children's Suites/Lullaby/Collections #230396

    Tiny Tales Volume 1 and 2 combined available at http://www.folkharp.com. An Evening at Home is on http://www.imslp.org.

    in reply to: Children's Suites/Lullaby/Collections #230367

    An Evening at Home, Four Easy Pieces for the Harp, Alfred Holy (intermediate level)

    1. Childrens’ Thoughts
    2. At the Fireside
    3. Youngsters at Play
    4. A Little Dancer

    in reply to: Children's Suites/Lullaby/Collections #230366

    You may want to include Brahm’s Lullaby. The original score for piano is on imslp but find it awkward to play on harp or piano. Angi Bemiss has a nice arrangement in C and Eb you may want to consider. I played it for a baby shower. If you are doing a recital, it would be a good encore piece. Not sure if this is what you are looking for in a video but I thought I would mention this song.

    in reply to: Pratt Harp Covers #230284

    You may want to consider a harp cover from Four Seasons http://www.harpcover.com as suggested above or Carl Swanson http://www.swansonharps.com.

    in reply to: Help finding a harp in Rome #230265

    Jackie, I think you meant to say Harp Borrowing Club on Facebook. Harp Exchange and also Harpists Around the World On FB would be two other good resource. Check with Salvi Harps in Italy, too.

    I used to be coy about saying what a harp costs, but depending on who/how the question is presented, I am happy to say more than $30k. Then people don’t take my harp and me for granted. You can find the prices on the internet, anyhow. Otherwise, I will say a lot or the price of a car. It’s just not a big deal anymore.

    Sean, you may want to check out Carl Swanson in Boston. He is a highly regarded harp maker and harp restorer, wwww.swansonharp.org. The other harp restorer is Howard Bryan in Virginia, http://www.oldharpsmadeyoung.com. Both are experts about the Wurlitzer harps.

    Sean, with your height you should get a concert grand harp. That narrows your choice. You don’t say where you live, but I suggest you join the local chapter of the American Harp Society. Through that you may be able to try more harps and get more opinions. I would further suggest you call Lyon and Healy in Chicago to find out when they have the most harps in. Harps are generally not shipped during very cold or hot weather so I presume Spring and Fall is when inventory is best. I would consider taking vacation time to try the harps yourself. I flew from Florida to Santa Monica to test harps rather than make a pricey mistake. It turned out the then sales manager and I had the exact same taste in harps so I bought my other two harps sight unseen upon her recommendation.

    Additionally, if it is possible, rent a concert grand harp for a while to get familiar with it. You would then be better prepared to buy one.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 866 total)