harpcolumn

How to play four finger chords evenly

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums How To Play How to play four finger chords evenly

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    carl-swanson
    Participant

Gretchen- I forgot to answer your question. The whole collection is from pieces that are either currently in print, or were in print but I don’t think are now. In choosing these pieces, I wanted, as I said above, to make the pieces immediately accessible. I wanted to do this so that harpists who may have never played Tournier before, or certainly not these pieces, would not be overwhelmed trying to figure out how to play the notes. Here’s the list of pieces I chose:

Au Matin
    Offrande
    Vers la source dans le bois
    Berceuse Russe
    La Voliere magique
    Eternal Reveur
    Lolita la danseuse
    Cloches sous la neige
    Claire de lune sur l’etang du parc
    Jazz-Band

Do you know all of these pieces? I’ve used many but not all of them in recital. They’re all just gorgeous. Several of them are quite easy technically. But Tournier makes enormous demands on the player as concerns the musical nuance.

Just playing through etudes will not accomplish much of anything. You may end up with a very stiff, thick way of playing. It’s how you play them that matters. It’s how you use exercises, or repertoire, that matters. It’s all in the way you move.

Gretchen Cover
    Participant

Carl,

This is an impressive collection! Is there a reason why you did not include Soupir? I played Promenade with a bassoonist recently. Yes, the notes were easy for that piece and 90% of our work was in the phrasing and musicality. We spent a lot of time working on details. I am working on Nocturne after Christmas.

carl-swanson
    Participant

Gretchen,

I chose the ones I chose because I liked the way they contrasted. I wanted a nice balance of pieces with different feels to them. I think these 10 pieces make a nice first collection. There are tons more Tournier pieces, and I’m sure, if I do a vol. II of these, a number of them will show up in that one.

Veronika
    Participant

Carl, that sounds great. I wish I had access to a pedal harp, but I don’t, so I’ll be keeping my fingers crossed that you get to publishing the piece(s) for lever harp! 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies