Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
August 2, 2019 at 6:45 am in reply to: Differences in design between the Various 47 string concert grands #229206
Gretchen Cover
MemberSean, what is your intent with this harp research. Are you just curious, do you intend to learn how to play?
Gretchen Cover
MemberThank you for this information, Saul. Mystery solved.
BTW, I found Koutzen’s music catalogue published online by Vassar. I could only find one trio – Trio for Flute, Cello and Harp. It is available at Vanderbilt Music.
-
This reply was modified 7 years, 2 months ago by
Gretchen Cover.
August 1, 2019 at 10:02 pm in reply to: Differences in design between the Various 47 string concert grands #229199Gretchen Cover
MemberJerusha,
You would have to ask Salvi or a Salvi rep. I cannot give you an accurate answer. I presume it is like design changes on cars – build something better and perhaps correct problems. I was more familiar with all this a few years ago when I bought two new concert grand harps. I waited a year on my Apollo because the sales rep thought the new concept soundboard was a huge design improvement.
August 1, 2019 at 5:12 pm in reply to: Differences in design between the Various 47 string concert grands #229184Gretchen Cover
MemberAh, Balfour, you and I must now disagree. The soundboards are designed differently for many of the concert grand harps. That is particularly so with the new Salvi sound boards in the past couple years. Each harp model has its own soundboard design. Years ago, the difference, say, between a Diana and Aurora was just the carving but that is no longer true. I am not as familiar with Camac and Lyon Healy but it is safe to say that a Salzedo soundboard is not the same as a LH 23. This is when you really need to rely on the expertise of the sales rep and harp technicians.
Gretchen Cover
MemberPerhaps you could tell the parents the child is very talented and that you would like permission to let her teacher know what was accomplished at camp. If that works, you could let the teacher know your thoughts about the harp.
July 27, 2019 at 7:54 pm in reply to: Differences in design between the Various 47 string concert grands #229099Gretchen Cover
MemberI would discuss the Salvi harps with the sales manager Peter at the Santa Monica Salvi showroom. http://www.salviharpsinc.com. Yes, there are differences between the Salvi harps. Also depends on the year. My personal thought that may or may not be valid: l think the best Salvi harps were made when they used the new concept soundboard. I believe this was from 2008-2015. I have a Salvi Iris and Salvi Apollo with the new concept soundboards. They are both phenomenal and very different in sound. Ultimately, your choice comes down to whether or not you like the feel and sound of a particular harp.
Gretchen Cover
MemberIs your harp under warranty? I would contact Blevins about this first.
July 21, 2019 at 1:19 pm in reply to: Do you let others touch/play with your harp? Why or why not? #228964Gretchen Cover
MemberFunny this topic should come up. There is a new minister at a church I play regularly. He was so excited to know there would be harp music that he raced over to my harp and could barely keep from touching it. When I said ok, he jumped on the bench to try plucking the strings. Who can say no to such enthusiasm? I am happy to let people try my harp or touch it as long as they ask first and l am standing by. One thing I like about Salvi Harps is the polyurethane finish that wipes clean easily unlike the lacquer on Lyon and Healy harps. (Appears the photo I tried to upload won’t work.)
Gretchen Cover
MemberFrom his brother’s FB page:
-
This reply was modified 7 years, 3 months ago by
Gretchen Cover.
Attachments:
You must be logged in to view attached files.Gretchen Cover
MemberYou should pass on this. You will end up with an unplayable harp and spend a lot of money doing so.
Gretchen Cover
MemberWhere do you live? What is the price? Are you able to get a harp tech or someone specialized to look at the harp? A major problem could be getting disks or other replacement parts.
Carl Swanson has one his harps he makes for sale on his website http://www.swansonharp.com. You might want to look at that.
Gretchen Cover
MemberAfter reading all the posts, I would contact harp makers about donating the harp for rehab. You may also want to contact harpist Patrice Fisher, who has a non-profit harp school in Guatemala. If she can use the harp, you would get a charitable donation letter for your tax return. http://www.patricefisher.com. I donate my used strings to her program.
Gretchen Cover
MemberPerhaps contact technician George Flores for advice and the proper tool you need. He posts a lot on Facebook and invites harpists to reach out to him on technical matters. He works mainly on Venus harps but I am certain he knows LH harps, too. Have you checked tutorials on youtube? I also believe tech Steve Moss has a dvd about harp maintenance. You could email him to see if his dvd addresses your harp issues and ask what tool you need for the job you are doing.
Sad that harpists don’t get their harps regulated and wire strings changed regularly. Not doing so shortens the life of a harp, could hurt resale, plus they end up not sounding good. Like driving a car and never changing the tires, filters or oil. Personally, I would never buy a used harp without an inspection report and proof the harp was properly maintained.
Gretchen Cover
MemberI would have an artist turn it into a piece of art and enjoy it. You could also contact an Aoyama dealer to see if the harp could be used for parts or rehabbed.
Gretchen Cover
MemberI see this was posted again in harps and accessories but under a different name.
-
This reply was modified 7 years, 5 months ago by
Gretchen Cover.
-
This reply was modified 7 years, 2 months ago by
-
AuthorPosts