harpcolumn

Children's Suites/Lullaby/Collections

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Repertoire Children's Suites/Lullaby/Collections

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Hannah White
    Participant

I’m looking for some harp solo recommendations for music suited/written for children? Potentially something in the intermediate range. Although advanced repertoire isn’t completely out. Suites/lullabies/solos etc.

My baby is due in January and I am thinking of putting together a short recital/video before then for baby, based off music for children.

Anyone played either A Children’s Album by Sasha Boldachev or Children’s Dances arranged by Von Wurtzler?

Salzedo’s Tiny Tales and Sketches for Harpist Beginners would be a starting point, and that is almost half an hour of music, if not more. Also his solos in the Art of Modulating.

Gretchen Cover
    Participant

You may want to include Brahm’s Lullaby. The original score for piano is on imslp but find it awkward to play on harp or piano. Angi Bemiss has a nice arrangement in C and Eb you may want to consider. I played it for a baby shower. If you are doing a recital, it would be a good encore piece. Not sure if this is what you are looking for in a video but I thought I would mention this song.

Gretchen Cover
    Participant

An Evening at Home, Four Easy Pieces for the Harp, Alfred Holy (intermediate level)

1. Childrens’ Thoughts
    2. At the Fireside
    3. Youngsters at Play
    4. A Little Dancer

Hannah White
    Participant

Yes! The Brahms Lullaby is a great one! I have Salzedo’s arrangement already. I’ll look into the Alfred Holy collection too. Thanks!

Hannah White
    Participant

I remembered there was a collection Salzedo put together for children, but I wasn’t able to find the title searching under “children’s music”. Thanks! This is great.

Hannah White
    Participant

Where have you seen this available?

Gretchen Cover
    Participant

Tiny Tales Volume 1 and 2 combined available at http://www.folkharp.com. An Evening at Home is on http://www.imslp.org.

Gretchen Cover
    Participant

Short Stories in Music for Young Harpists, first and second series, by Carlos Salzedo.

Hannah White
    Participant

Thanks!

evolene_t
    Participant

Harpist Lisa Lynne also produced a CD specifically aimed at newborns, since she felt that most music, even when meant to be for children, were too harsh for tiny infants.

You might find inspiration there as well!

Lisa Lynne – Life is but a Dream

Manon LeComte has a lovely CD called Jouer, Chanter, Danser, which is dedicated to children. It is full of lovely selections, including the Flagello Berceuse (which means “lullaby”), Berceuse Russe by Tournier, The Musical Snuff Box, Danse de la Poupée, etc. It’s hard to find, but she can sell them directly. If you need her contact info, I can email her for you.

Hannah White
    Participant

Thank you! I’ll let you know if I’d like you to reach out to her.
    Sounds like a lovely compilation of pieces.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.