Gretchen Cover

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 766 through 780 (of 866 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Fratello Sole, Sorella Luna #61696

    I’ll try that again. When I checked Musicnotes.com with the English name, I got the song Brother Sun, Sister Moon written by Donovan, and I never checked further. Yes, it is the theme song of the movie with the same name. Thank you for the suggestion.

    in reply to: New website! #112609

    What a nice website. Great photos, too. I would suggest you put a link for a couple sound clips or perhaps make a couple youtube videos to put on your website. After all, the harp is about sound.

    in reply to: Advice about shoulder surgery #112584

    David,

    I presume you have had MRIs and Xrays to determine the problem. Here is what happened to me: I live in Florida was told last year I had 2 bone spurs and needed shoulder surgery. I smartly got a second opinion. I actually flew from Florida to Johns Hopkins to see the orthopediast who works on Baltimore Orioles players and Baltimore Symphony musicians. I found the name through internet searching. It cost me an airline ticket, cab fare and the doctor’s visit. It turned out that despite my excruciating shoulder pain I had “no detectable problem.” He said he sees the mystery problem I had frequently with pitchers and violinsts who cross their arms across their body – same motion as playing bass on the harp with the left hand. I did physical therapy and eventually my problem cleared up without surgery.

    Bottom line – do not do surgery without a second or even third opinion. Also ask whether the problem can be resolved by arthoscopic surgery or will you need traditional surgery. What about recovery? Ask LOTS of questions and get answers.

    Best to you making a very difficult decision. I wish you a speedy recovery if surgery is your only option.

    in reply to: New piece for harp, piano and percussion #61644

    Fabulous new work! Performance was fantastic. What an exciting new piece for the harp ensemble repetoire.

    The sheet music is available at Geoff Sheil’s website http://www.geoffsheil.com.

    in reply to: Lifelong pianist curious about pedal harp #60297

    Salvi Harps is located in Santa Monica. When you are ready to pursue your harp interest, make an appointment with Salvi manager Alexandra Perdew. http://www.salviharpsinc.com

    in reply to: Multiple levels for multiple harps #61635

    I would call Sylvia Woods Harp Center and Melody Folk harp to get suggestions. They know their music very well and could probably help you. You could also call other harp music sellers like Vanderbilt, Harp Connection and Harp.com for ensemble ideas.

    in reply to: Can someone take a look? #61619

    I would like to thank you for writing a harp part in your symphony. Many more thanks for asking those who will play the part eventually to make sure it is playable. Best to you in getting your symphony published and performed.

    in reply to: Josh Groban’s “You raise me up.” #61633

    Whoops! I got the Louise’s mixed up. Louise TROTTER wrote the arrangment of ”You Raise Me Up” in Contemporary Hymns for Harp Vol. 2.

    in reply to: Josh Groban’s “You raise me up.” #61630

    Louise Pratt has a lovely harp arrangment of You Raise Me Up in her book, Contemporary Hymns for Harp Vol. 2. The key is G and there are no accidentals. It is available at http://www.folkharp.com (warning – site is under construction until May 18). You can hear it performed by harpist Esther Lee on youtube.

    in reply to: Can someone take a look? #61616

    You need to post the section you are concerned about so a harpist can see it your edits work.

    in reply to: Practicing duets #60232

    We have a rehearsal tommorrow. I will put all these tips into our practice. Thank you so much for all ]]the advice.

    in reply to: Blues, Harp-Style, 4 week online course #59891

    Even if you aren’t going to take the course, watch the hilarious, clever video by harpist Blythe Tait on the website. Click on the “Blues, Harpstyle” link in Jeffrey’s post above.

    in reply to: Practicing duets #60230

    Thank you both for your excellent helpful suggestions. I had not thought about recording each part. I am fortunate to have access to recording equipment at a local church.

    I figure it is a given that both players know their parts before rehearsing. I was not clear about that in my initial post for which I apologize.

    in reply to: Showing off our new harps! #112476

    Double-click on the photograph. It will enlarge.

    in reply to: Crashed and burned AND lived to tell about it. #62518

    David,

    Nicely written and thoughtful comments.

Viewing 15 posts - 766 through 780 (of 866 total)