Donna O

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 158 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: clip on tuners #77197
    Donna O
    Participant

    Ally
    I use the snark and I clip it to my tuning key on the part that fits on the tuning pin. That way you don’t ever move the snark just the key. I love my snark. The only problem with the Snark tuner is they are plastic and you need to be careful adjusting the position of the dial. On the other hand they are very inexpensive. Battery lasts a long time. I order mine from music123.com. (no affliation w/ them). They are the least expensive and don’t charge shipping. The snark has a lighted dial and is very easily visible in a darkened room.
    I have 2 petersons and never use them now,.

    in reply to: Attention!! … all harpists who have Netflix streaming! #112837
    Donna O
    Participant

    Sonya, when are you coming to Chicago?

    in reply to: A stand to raise up my harp? #77143
    Donna O
    Participant

    Clinton, I sent you a private message.

    in reply to: For my trip to CHICAGO I need your input! #112805
    Donna O
    Participant

    Sonya,

    There is an Italian restaurant right across the street from L&H called La Luce. Very convenient if you need a break. You are also close to Randolph street and restaurants abound there. Hotels depend on whether you want to be near the airport or downtown.
    Are you planning on sightseeing in Chicago? If so would recommend something close to Michigan Ave. It also depends a lot on your budget. There are so many hotels to choose from, it’s hard to make recommendations. If you are just planning on visiting L&H you may want to just stay at the airport. Since I am local, I do not have a lot of experience with staying in hotels in the city. I usually use Expedia to search for hotels and reviews when I travel. I would definitely recommend taking a taxi to L&H, the neighborhood isn’t all that great. I would not take the train either to L&H and I am from the Chicago area, although I live about 60 miles northwest of the city now.
    Sorry I can’t be more helpful.
    You must be excited to be selecting your harp. Have you narrowed it down in terms of models??? I know when I selected my harp it was similar to Brook’s experience. I spent almost the entire day there. I tried out 3 harps. One of them just kept calling me back to it. I’ve never been sorry.

    in reply to: Isolde #61778
    Donna O
    Participant

    Brook, I believe the piece is the love duet from Tristan and Isolde (Liebestod). I am not sure where one would find the harp arrangement, but obviously there must be one. It’ s a beautiful piece. The piece is played by Jakez Francios, so it may be his own arrangement.
    DonnaO

    in reply to: Grossi question #89797
    Donna O
    Participant

    You need to join the Canadawest harplist group in yahoo. Once you are accepted you can then look in the files on the left side of the page for the Grossi english translation. I don’t think there is a way to you link directly to it. You can try this. Good luck. Donna http://launch.dir.groups.yahoo.com/group/CanadaWestHarplist

    in reply to: Problems in changing strings #76879
    Donna O
    Participant

    Carlin,
    The sanding cord is called Mitchell’s abrasive cord and it comes in different sizes(I use No. 52) I ordered it online but I think you can find it in most hardware stores. As Tayce said, be very gentle and cautious when using the abrasive cord. Again this will only work if you have something sharp around or in the eyelet hole. Good Luck.

    in reply to: HarpColumn May/June issue #112572
    Donna O
    Participant

    I received my replacement copy today, but never did receive the original copy. Thank yoy

    in reply to: Harp magazines back issues? #112602
    Donna O
    Participant

    Sonya, the message is under the Harp column , music stand page on the left hand side under messages. Anyway, I have about six years of magazines, but you didn’t say where you are located. If you are willing to pay the postage, I would let you have them

    in reply to: Harp magazines back issues? #112600
    Donna O
    Participant

    Sonya sent you a message. DonnaO

    in reply to: HarpColumn May/June issue #112566
    Donna O
    Participant

    I haven’t received mine either.

    in reply to: Fingering for Last Rose of Summer #60190
    Donna O
    Participant

    Thank you Sylvia for your suggestion. Other fingerings had my fingers getting tangled up and slowing me down. This works.
    Donna

    in reply to: Fingering for Last Rose of Summer #60189
    Donna O
    Participant

    Thanks Sylvia, I’ll go try that.

    in reply to: Fingering for Last Rose of Summer #60187
    Donna O
    Participant

    Thanks Kay. I appreciate your time.
    Donna

    in reply to: 85p vs prelude40 #76118
    Donna O
    Participant

    Thanks Tony for the feedback. While I love classical music, I’m not sure my abilities will allow me to play a lot of chromatic classical music. I have, with the help of my teacher found a lot of music that is appropriate for the lever harp or can be adapted. I really liked your saying about the right tool for the right job. It helps me organize my thoughts about making this decision. The cost would be a consideration as would having to learn pedals. “Can an old dog learn new tricks?”

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 158 total)