harpcolumn

Background music gigs, w or w/o music?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Professional Harpists Background music gigs, w or w/o music?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Cecilia Kim
    Participant

Hello everyone,

Just curious to know how most people does at the background music gig. Do you play with music or just memorize and improvise?

Sylvia Clark

I play memorized repertoire.

Paul and Brenda
    Participant

We play memorized music.  We don’t improvise.

joan-steinberg
    Participant

I do a lot of music from memory, and bring sheet music for selections I’ve recently learned and haven’t memorized.

kay-lister

Both

Kay

Rachel Redman
    Participant

I memorize my music. I like to keep a list of songs that I have chosen in advance in my binder, which sits on my music stand.

For you, it just depends on how comfortable you are with your music, and your ability to memorize.

adam-b-harris
    Participant

At home I use sheet music to learn tunes or maybe give me ideas for tunes to learn. On a gig I will play the tunes pretty much by ear using my own arrangements. I improvise, in that sometimes I will play things a bit differently or reharmonize the tune on the fly (if I am having a good day!) but I won’t be sitting there playing randomly, everything will be based on something that i’ve played before.

I don’t recommend relying on sheet music at gigs. Bad things can happen to sheet music, it can blow away or fall off the stand or something. Also it places a barrier between you and the audience which is not a great thing, even when doing background music gigs.

onita-sanders
    Participant

When I perform in a background music situation, I treat it as if

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

Hi Onita,

I too improvise while gigging.

michael-steadman
    Participant

I mostly play from memory.

David Ice
    Participant

I am in such total awe of anybody who can play a gig from memory.

Sylvia Clark

I’m probably different from anyone else (understatement).

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Both! I’ve learned to my sorrow that if I don’t haul around the music for the stuff I play from memory, it goes something like this: forget to play memorized piece on gig, forget to play it again at next gig, eventually forget I know how to play that piece.

Fortunately, the ipad is very helpful for that sort of thing–just seeing a title in my song list reminds me to play it.

Also, while I’m sure others here are probably better at that sort of thing, when guests at a party want to sing something in a key I don’t normally do, I’m no good at all at transposing with nothing in front of me.

Christian Frederick
    Participant

….. it all depends. I happen to memorize everything, but that may have evolved having had issues with my eyes all my life. But, when playing background music (which I mostly do for a living), I’ve always got three or four new songs on my music stand that I am in the process of memorizing.

So, it all depends on the way your brain and eyes are wired. There is nothing wrong with playing from music for background, but it is better to be free and make eye contact and gestures with your audience. I do draw the line with someone flipping from page to page in a fake book…. that is really bad show…

Also, I also don’t like soloists reading music on stage. I heard a great harpist this past summer doing that, so I closed my eyes to hear her beautiful not to be distracted by her reading music in a concert setting…..

Cecilia Kim
    Participant

Thank you all for your great replies!! It became such an interesting thread 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies