Briggsie B. Peawiggle

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 541 through 555 (of 717 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Harp Photos at Lyon Healy #163651

    Those were awesome pics, Rod. Thanks for posting the link.

    Briggsie

    in reply to: World beater lever harps! #68509

    OT:

    in reply to: World beater lever harps! #68506

    Hi Wurls,

    Good idea for a thread. Though I’m basically a pedal harpist, I also have the old Troubie and hang out with lever harpists too when the opportunity presents itself. (I admire the fact that they can flip levers — I’m not so adept at that.) I played a Dusty 36 just 2 weeks ago. It had a beautiful sound and a nice feel. It was easy to play — set under the fingers nicely and had a really nice blend between nylons and wires. They use some kind of composite sort of stuff for the strings where they blend (I’m not using the right terminology…but I just don’t know about these things.) However, on the Troubadour there is an abrupt change in timbre from the guts or nylons (mine is gut strung) to the wires, and on the Dusty there was not. However, there is a completely diferent feel to it — it’s much lighter strung than mine, and it sounds more Celtic/Folk than mine. The Troub sounded a lot like a pedal harp in comparison to these folk harps. But then, when I compare it to my pedal harp it does not. It sounds like a Celtic harp…..hard to explain. I like my Troubie better than a Dusty

    in reply to: graduate music minors? #86882

    YMMV does mean your mileage may vary. This might help:

    http://www.loganact.com/tips/afaik.html

    in reply to: Christmas harps #111779

    Oh man! That’s what my Athena was — an Interlochen harp. The Va Harp Center gave me an original warranty on it, and it really was like new. (I would say green, but that might start an entirely weird twist to this thread…LOL). Recently the upper end of the soundboard has come up, and OMG….it just gets better an better. You will love it.

    in reply to: Christmas harps #111775

    Holy stuff, Andy…..that is a BEAUTIFUL harp. The new design of the Clio make it look like a small Atlantide. I LOVE it. It’s beautiful in black, too. BE CAREFUL WITH IT….that lovely ebony. Is it new or used?

    Briggsie

    in reply to: Christmas harps #111773

    Andy, now you’re talking!!!! I have never played a Clio I didn’t like — and I’ve tried a few of them. Good for you! I bet you will just love it.

    Briggs

    in reply to: nylon #163128

    I tried Bow brand nylons, Camac nylons and I didn’t like either of them. I switched to Pirastro nylons and I LOVE THEM! They have such a lovely bell-like ring to them.

    Briggs

    in reply to: First Harp and First Gig! #111817

    Becky,

    Congratulations on your new harpsicle. May you enjoy it for many years to come!

    Briggsie

    in reply to: Ems harps #161325

    I can’t tell you about EMS, but I suspect they are not good just from looking at them over and over on Ebay for next to nothing in price — like the “Rosewood” harps.

    Check out Pilgrim harps in the UK, and also Mark Norris harps. Camac is in France, and there is a brand in Germany called Horngacher whom I have heard good things about. You can find all of these on the web.

    Briggsie

    in reply to: What harp items did Santa bring you? #111809

    Sherry, I just looked at the Avee. It is really a very cool harp — pretty much exactly what I need…..but I need to hear them and try them in person. So I will keep it in mind and hope that Blevins will be an exhibitor at the AHS Conference in June here. 🙂

    in reply to: Christmas harps #111768

    Extremely lovely, Nelleke. I love walnut. My Athena is walnut. It’s such a warm color without a lot of red to it. Congratulations! You must be very excited.

    Briggs

    in reply to: Christmas harps #111764

    Kelly, you are going to LOVE the Camac levers. I had Camacs put on my lever harp, and I love them. I’m sure they won’t sell you a lemon. I think they are very forthright. I’m happy for you! Let us know when you get it and what you think.

    What type of harp are you playing now? Oh and btw, I bought my Camac Athena sight unseen and played on the phone as well. There is only one harp I have ever liked better — and that’s my teacher’s Atlantide Prestige. I have played a lot of harps and am always happy to come back to Big Daddy. You will be happy with your new baby.

    in reply to: Christmas harps #111761

    That is a lovely harp, Kelly. I hope you get it soon. How long will it take? Is it fully levered?

    in reply to: What harp items did Santa bring you? #111794

    I bought myself a leather tuning key holder, a new tuner and some harp books. Santa gave me a beautiful hand-made, hand carved wooden jewelry box and an antique brooch. I also received some money from my in-laws which goes into the harp fund for my 3rd harp. I would like to get a nice harp I can carry from school to school . I teach music in 3 elementary schools and a middle school and I change schools everyday. I would like to have a harp I can keep with me. It needs to have as many strings as possible and needs to be under 20 lbs…..the lighter the better, and needs full levers — preferably Camacs…..but others will be considered. I am saving and expect to have about $2000 by summertime. I plan to go to the AHS Conference here in my city where it is being held and buy something there.

    Does anyone have any suggestions on a good harp to meet my requirements? I also need a good padded carry case with it. Thanks!

    Merry Christmas!!

    Briggsie

Viewing 15 posts - 541 through 555 (of 717 total)