Briggsie B. Peawiggle

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 526 through 540 (of 717 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Humidifier #163316

    I keep a Dampit in my old Troubadour harp, but it is also in the room with the big harp with gets humidity from the humidifier which works just fine. You can tell when it is working or not full by the coldness in the house when it runs out of water…..usually when we are asleep. It is new as mentioned above, and we are getting used to when to fill it. I have no white dust and never have from our evaporative humidifiers.

    in reply to: Jane Austen & Harp #163338

    In the older version just shown on TMC she actually plays the harp.

    in reply to: How do you cover your harp when transporting it? #163604

    I cover it with a transport cover — a Camac cover…not a L&H cover. But I wouldn’t dream of moving it without that. You can get dings from just getting it on the dolly without a transport cover — just not safe.

    in reply to: Jane Austen & Harp #163329

    I can’t answer your question…..I could if I thought about it enough, but I’m too tired to do that right now. However, was the book “Pride and Prejudice?” I just saw the movie and the harp was in several scenes.

    Briggs

    in reply to: Humidifier #163313

    We just replaced our old Emerson which still worked but which could no longer be thoroughly cleaned — even with bleach — after the 10 years we had it. We replaced it with a Moist Air Essick. It covers 2900 sq. ft, and that surely does the job for us. I had it about 3 feet from the harp. It drew the harp badly out of tune. So I moved it back where the old one had been in the hallway, closer to a cold air return and about 10 or 12 feet from the harp. You can feel the effects throughout the house though. I can tell when it’s empty because the house gets cold.

    Briggs

    in reply to: Back problems – can’t lift harp #163595

    I had my husband walk alongside of me the first time I loaded and unloaded, S.S. I wasn’t brave at all. I was scared to death, and he was my “spotter.”

    The linoleum slider is a great idea. I’ve been trying to think of what I could use to help slide it in once it’s inside. I thought of getting one of those under-chair lucite thingys they sell in office stores. I like the linoleum even better.

    in reply to: THe Perfect Harp Car #145203

    I love my Outback, but it’s a little tricky getting my concert grand in there — has to go on an angle with the front passenger seat moved pretty far forward. It works. Not hard to get in, but I know for a fact it doesn’t slide in as easily as the Taurus because my teacher has the Taurus and she showed me how easily hers goes in. But ooooh I LOVE this car. I had it before I started on harp, so it was just meant to be — the harp and me.

    Elizabeth Volpe posted that her Toyota Sierra (I think that was it) van was a really great car for her harps. But I don’t imagine it gets super mileage. Come to think of it, the Outback only gets about 25 mph average combined highway/non-highway miles.

    Briggs

    in reply to: Mystery Music #111690

    The first one is “My Heart Ever Faithful” by J.S. Bach (and she threw in an aeolian flux…). The ballet, I do not know, but it would’ve been nice had the orchestra tuned first (um…..and the harpist too on the Bach come to think of it….)

    Briggs

    in reply to: Back problems – can’t lift harp #163592

    Hi S.S. I’m sorry your husband has back problems. Ouch….

    I move my Camac Athena extended (heavy) myself. I get it in the back of my station wagon (Outback). This is how I do it. I scooch the dolly out from it and position it so that I can lean it back, holding onto it very tightly until it makes contact with the rear bumper area. Then I slowly lower it’s top into the car. Now it is sticking half in and half out, and I just push it in. I’m not particularly muscle-bound or strong, but I can manage it. I take it out in reverse….scoot it so it’s about 1/2 out, and then start to lower it onto the base and let it carefully rock out. It’s using physics that makes it easy.Really all I

    in reply to: discovery channel-how it’s made #111694

    I believe they did one on harps at the L&H factory. It may have been another show, but I thought it was that one. It wasn’t very long or involved, as I recall.

    Briggs

    in reply to: Harp Dog #162328

    Kay, I’m so sorry you lost your 13-year old dog. We had to put down our big retriever Kirby on 12/14/06, so Christmas in ’06 was pretty dismal here. I’m glad you got your new pup.

    Briggsie

    in reply to: Harp Sighting — Old Movie #111637

    Me either Kay. I love the humor…..the styles….still funny after all these years. I never even noticed the harp in that orchestra until recently. Weird.

    in reply to: Harp Sighting — Old Movie #111635

    I watch a lot of TVLand shows, in particular “I Love Lucy.” Any episode in Ricky Ricardo’s nightclub shows a beautiful big gold harp with a woman sitting at it. I love seeing that.

    Briggs

    in reply to: Harp Sighting- Help please #111712

    Is she playing a Troubadour? And is she playing Sam Milligan’s version of Greensleeves?

    in reply to: Suggestions for Forum use guide #111664

    I agree with Saul on this.

    Briggs

    PS:

Viewing 15 posts - 526 through 540 (of 717 total)