harpcolumn

graduate music minors?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Teaching the Harp graduate music minors?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Allison Stewart
    Participant

What sort of requirements are typical of a music minor with a concentration in history or composition,

unknown-user
    Participant

I can only speak to this as a university administrator…but our college of music does not offer minors

catherine-rogers
    Participant

Okay, here’s my ignorance (or my age!) showing. What does YMMV mean? “Your milage may vary?”

unknown-user
    Participant

Good question. I think that a graduate student who is studying musicology or composition may still be expected to have a major instrument and take lessons. I know of a top-notch school for such studies.

Sherry Thurman
    Participant

what school?

YMMV does mean your mileage may vary. This might help:

http://www.loganact.com/tips/afaik.html

catherine-rogers
    Participant

Oh dear, now I AM overwhelmed…

Allison Stewart
    Participant

The two schools I am considering both offer MA’s in music.

kimberly-houser
    Participant

I also believe that in music that most schools go not offer graduate
    minors at the master’s level.

Allison Stewart
    Participant

I’ve only

unknown-user
    Participant

In that case, you merely need a school that has a good harp instructor, where you can take music theory and history and such as electives.

I agree with Saul.

unknown-user
    Participant

That is an excellent idea, and probably will help keep you interested and engaged during the PHD slog.

If you are able to skip taking Music Theory at an institution, by qualifying in that field by an exam or demonstrating your knowledge, instead look at http://www.musictheory.net. My adult employed student, already proficient in important works like Gliere and Handel, found that she can learn things there that her previous teachers failed to tell her, and she is happily working through theory knowledge on the internet instead.

Allison Stewart
    Participant

I’ll be going to WSU, because that is where the tree phys prof

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies