Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
barbara-low
ParticipantIf the meter is moving, then the string is out of tune. When it stops completely, or creeps ever so slightly sharp, you’ve reached “in tune-ness.” If you’re still having problems, dampen the wires with fabric. If your strobe has problems with 1st octave on up, you can either tune by ear, or use a lapel microphone which may be able to transmit the signal better.
HTH
barbara-low
ParticipantWe’re in agreement about not having anything attach to the pedestal but anything that shifts the weight back onto the rear feet, as both the cart and wheels do, will stress the rear feet and the pedestal.
Is that the bad idea you’re referring to?
Glad the K-2 works for you and that it’s lighter than I thought. Just so’s ya know, I do recommend a cart when it fits the user’s purposes.
barbara-low
ParticipantHey Ro, from your description, maybe the Primo by Muzzace is what you saw in Japan. http://www.muzzace.com/mainpage.html It’s just like all the others as far as placing stress on the back feet and pedal box, but at least you get to hold onto your harp with both hands.
Now, if the caddy you saw had a telescoping rod that attached to a back sound hole, that was the Go Go Cart. Joel Garnier, Camac’s founder, brought it to an AHS Harp Conference to show it off. I don’t know if a harp can be moved without engaging that rod.
That tilting tray on your trolley sounds like it works really well. I never liked the interface I’ve seen on others.
I actually use to move my harp on what looked like a skeleton of a harp crate, made of aluminium, wood and foam padding. I had to lift my harp onto it, just like putting a harp into its wooden crate. Then it got strapped in and off we’d roll with the harp standing upright on a wooden platform with 4 wheels below. Wheels attached to the back railings allowed for flat loading into a van. That too had it’s pluses and minuses, but at least it didn’t stress the back feet or pedestal.
I don’t offer advice as much as provide information so that people can make informed choices. I told you about the BW’s since they’re convenient, others have used them with no ill effects and you asked for suggestions. I know you’re a smart girl and can make good decisions based on what is right for you.
barbara-low
ParticipantRo, your harp has one big rear foot; it’s just not the typical two rear feet configuration found on most harps. Whether the BW’s will work or not will depend upon the shape of the shoes and the proper rubber inserts.
Rock on.
barbara-low
ParticipantCarl, I’m in general agreement with you here. The harp is not designed to be moved on its rear feet, despite the fact that most of the transport systems do exactly that.
The back feet are designed to take the weight of the harp, as is the pedal box (pedestal). If you bounce the harp while moving it, you will alter the load the back feet were designed to take whether your mode of transport is a caddy or a Berger Wheel (BW). In both instances, the weight of the harp is focused on the rear feet and the pedal box which are now required to take the dynamic load exerted on them by moving the harp. A large tray would distribute the weight to 4 contact points, however, the majority of the weight will still be on the back feet.
No transport system is fail safe, and the operator’s skills have to be taken into consideration. My preference is that I am able to keep my hands on my harp at all times; something that is not possible with most of the harp caddies out there. Yes, I’m willing to move my $40,000+ harp on them since I have total control over it. I don’t trust gravity and a stap to keep my harp from rocking/tilting over. My priorities are a healthy body and harp, in that order. I see no need to add 30-40 lbs. of extra weight I need to transport to transport my harp. And my harp is a tool that can be repaired or replaced; soft tissue damage is a bear to repair. Remember, “If you have your health, you have everything.”
The BW’s address a need, though they are not perfect either. They do rely on the proper mechanical fastens, both on the harp and on the wheels themselves, to work properly. And the back feet will receive cosmetic wear. Their small size is an added bonus, and I can easily rotate and move my harp in any direction. The comparatively low cost does not reflect on their reliability or materials used in manufacturing them.
The Camac Go Go Cart is based on similar principles as those of the caddies and BW’s; the load is on the rear feet and pedal box. They use a different fastening system that allows the harpist to keep both hands on the harp.
And, Ro, the Go Go Cart has inflatable pneumatic boots and a silver mini skirt. Quite stylish; a Euro Techno look.
barbara-low
ParticipantYour welcome, Ro. I got mine from the maker, who has since passed away. However, his daughter has continued to make them and Harps Etc. in Walnut Creek, California has them. They were reviewed in the Harp Column about a year (?) ago. Since so many harpists are accustomed to the harp dolly they found using the Berger wheels a little disconcerting, but I personally dislike dollies since the harp is not firmly attached to the plate and can so easily fall off.
P.S. The wheels won’t work for the 7/8 size harps.
barbara-low
ParticipantIf you were able to take some of the responsibilities of taking care of your daughter and the household while she has a good, uninterrupted hour to tune and practice harp, she might be more willing to give it a try. I can understand her hesitation since her plate’s so full, but if some of it was cleared off for her, the idea would have more appeal. She might even look forward to having that time alone, knowing that things are being well taken care of.
Also, she may not have your talent for picking up instruments, and with the harp being a more difficult instrument than piano, her progress may seem painfully slow to you. You would really need to talk over the expectations you both have regarding this venture.
barbara-low
ParticipantIf you mean the Camac Go Go Cart, no, it can’t be used on L&H harps since the L&H’s don’t have the concave part to receive the convex part on the trolley. But you can have it installed.
I use Berger Wheels to roll my harp from place to place. They’re made to clamp onto the back feet of your harp where you then tilt the harp back and roll away. I like them cuz they’re small, light weight, and your hands are on the harp at all times while you’re moving it.
barbara-low
ParticipantNot to cause an uproar here, but John does have a point.
Though it would be wonderful to have harps in the public school system, or any school, it would be very difficult to get administration behind the idea. Even with donated harps, they would be very resistant to providing funds for maintenance, let along funding a harp teacher. There was an attempt recently to donation 6 lever harps in excellent condition to a publicly funded creative arts school in a major city. The school turned it down for the reasons stated above. We even tried to secure outside funding for maintenance by contacting a member of the City Council, a harpist. She never returned our calls.
Bottom line, the harp is the cheapest part of the whole operation. Funding a teacher, the strings, maintenance, the room and all the other stuff is what’s expensive. And how many band directors know the first thing about a harp?
P.S. The public high school I attended had an old gold semi-grand Lyon and Healy that was used in orchestra (I was a violinist then). I loved watching and hearing the harpist play. There was no harp instructor so she took lessons privately. After she graduated, the harp pretty much stayed in its trunk.
barbara-low
ParticipantThe wristies are very nice. I know a flutist that uses them.
Not for gigging, but I’d love to have a fancy music stand with a shelf like the ones here
barbara-low
ParticipantRod, my (very old) harp had metals claws under the back feet too. If you get tired of them, they can be replaced. I had mine replaced with the modern metal shoes with rubber inserts, but the bottom of the feet needed to be reshaped to accommodate them.
barbara-low
ParticipantUgh, a typo…. My mitts are black.
barbara-low
ParticipantHi Rosemary. I knit them myself. They looked so pretty, and I needed something to keep my hands warm. They look like these, but ,ome are in black.
http://www.interweaveknits.com/Galleries/bonus/winter_2006/wineroses.asp
barbara-low
ParticipantI really like my fingerless mitts. They’re knit from lace weight cashmere in a lacy pattern, so are a little dressier than regular mitts. Ounce for ounce, cashmere is warmer and softer than wool, so not itchy, and really makes a difference when my hands need help keeping warm.
I keep my tuning key in a leather holster strapped to the back of the harp, and always make sure the key is in it before I put the cover on the harp. Mine’s bright pink. I have 2 other keys, in pastels, but can’t seem to find them….. They’re hiding in the house with my metronome.
I use a Tama Ergo-Rider drummer’s throne with my semi-grand. And I just ordered the double-headed battery operated stand light advertised by Lyon Healy. I hope it’s bright enough.
barbara-low
ParticipantI don’t know the real reason why either, but it makes sense that as you go through the circle of 5ths, either way, you’re alternating feet except between the A & E pedals.
-
AuthorPosts