harpcolumn

I would like to get my wife to begin Harp…..

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists I would like to get my wife to begin Harp…..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    unknown-user
    Participant

Hello, my name is Kris Butler from NE Mississippi. Here is a little background on me. I am a amaetur pianist as well as a pan flutist. I have been playing the pan flute for about a year and I have nade tremendous strides. I have also been taking piano lessons for a couple of years.

I would love my wife to learn to play the harp. The pan flute &

I think you should let your wife decide. She is an adult and knows what she can and can’t do. It sounds to me like you are trying to force her to learn it because you want it for yourself. Not good.

unknown-user
    Participant

Dear Kris

I must agree with the previous posting. In our zealousness to pursue a very noble dream we can sometimes be a little less tactful than

If she’s interested she can and will find a way to work it out.

unknown-user
    Participant

Yes, I agree with all of you. It would be entirely her decision. I wasn’t to clear on that. If she decides not to do it, it would be fine with me. It may be years before she decides to do it if she ever decides to do it.

I wrote this post at like 1:30 AM this morning. I have the crude (congestion) alot of people have this time of year so the clarity of most post may have been mudded. I would never force her to do something she does not want to do. I just laid the plan out to her. She really has no hobbies so I was also giving her ideas.

As far as what I said about the instruments being rare in this area I did not mean that you can give a shoddy performance either. I just meant that people around here are not used to these kind of instruments so what may be a simple song to you guys would be really good for most people down here. Anyway, have a good day…

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

Kris,

Some of the most beautiful songs are the most simple, so the simplicity of a piece isn’t so much a factor as being thoroughly prepared to play it before performing–accurate reading of the notes, correct rhythm, proper fingerings, delivering the piece with feeling/emotion.

Take care!

Jerusha

Thanks for the explanation!

unknown-user
    Participant

Thanks Jennifer! We really haven’t gotten that far yet.

Do you really feel as if you have been slammed? Read what you wrote, and read the responses. I don’t feel there were any attacks at all….only honest interpretations of what you wrote.

However, I’m sorry you have that congestion. I just got over it — and it took 4 full weeks and 3 rounds of antibiotics.

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

I think your wife is probably right about having time to practice right now.

unknown-user
    Participant

Dear Kris

I would also like to add that I never meant to ‘slam’ you, not at all. I am most very sorry if it seemed that way. I was just trying to do as you asked; honestly answer your question. No offence was ever intended, my apologies if it was perceived that way. A Merry Christmas to you, your wife and your daughter.

Cheers

barbara-low
    Participant

If you were able to take some of the responsibilities of taking care of your daughter and the household while she has a good, uninterrupted hour to tune and practice harp, she might be more willing to give it a try. I can understand her hesitation since her plate’s so full, but if some of it was cleared off for her, the idea would have more appeal. She might even look forward to having that time alone, knowing that things are being well taken care of.

Also, she may not have your talent for picking up instruments, and with the harp being a more difficult instrument than piano, her progress may seem painfully slow to you. You would really need to talk over the expectations you both have regarding this venture.

unknown-user
    Participant

Anyone know of Cindy Kleinstuber webcam lessons? I’ve not heard of her, but if they are useful it’d be good for Kris to know.

What harp are you both thinking of getting? And what does your wife think of the idea? I think you should put her online, I’m sure she would laugh at the perceived “slamming” you got!

Bonnie Shaljean
    Participant

Another thought is to buy some CD’s – both flute/wind-instrument & harp, and also harp solo – and play them around the house. The exposure to its music will undoubtedly help your wife to focus on the actual sound of the instrument, and realise whether it lures her or not. It would also be a lovely influence for the little girl, who may want to play herself when she gets older.

You can make wonderful music on a harp without its having to be difficult, which is one of the rewarding joys of playing. As has already been clarified, “simple” doesn’t in any way mean shoddy. I think the two of you could do some very productive playing together which would be rewarding for both yourselves and your listeners, so don’t abandon the idea. Do keep in touch with the scene via websites, downloads, recordings etc. Maybe eventually the three of you can play as a trio!

rod-c
    Participant

Hi Kris:

I understand your enthusiasm and desire for your wife to join you in the rich experience you’re having. I hope

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies