harpcolumn

Nifty gig gadgets…

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break Nifty gig gadgets…

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    rod-anderson
    Participant

Hi, Curly (and Barbara too).

Hey Ro!

Check this out:

austin-harpist
    Participant

I recently bought a pair of Wristies and they are very comfortable to wear while playing.

I ordered them on Friday morning, and I already got them in the mail today. They are VERY VERY nice. I am really going to use these. My hands get cold when I get a little

barbara-low
    Participant

The wristies are very nice. I know a flutist that uses them.

Not for gigging, but I’d love to have a fancy music stand with a shelf like the ones here

http://www.misterstandman.com/tulipharp.htm

I bought a pair of large wristies, and they are too big. I’m just going to run them in on the pinkie side and make them smaller. They slip too much while I’m playing.

Oh yes I LOVE those stands. The one shown with the ebony harp is just so lovely looking. The problem I notice with so many wooden stands is that they don’t go low enough for me. I like my Manhasset stand all the way down.

missy lannon
    Participant

i just got my wristies in the mail today.

unknown-user
    Participant

I have wristies! They are excellent! I especially like the slit for the thumb, so that joint can move freely! And Briggs, you are so good to remember that I have small paws, they fit perfectly and I usually always have problems with gloves! Thanks 8 dogs!

I like those carved music stands very much, I probably would have one by now if I was in the US..but have been put off by shipping it such a long way. I’m considering the Anderson stand, the wooden one that collapses down for gigs – as I am feeling like a touring circus with all my gear these days!

Hey Curls….glad they fit. Yes I remember you’re a chihuahua. I on the other hand am a retriever (mix) and ordered the large and they are too big as I mentioned. I just gave in and ordered 2 pairs of small. One pair was marked way down because it was this kind of apple green (weird) but being a weird dog, I just got a very pretty gig outfit in that precise color for spring/summer…..a long sleeved fitted jacket over a mid-calf trumpet skirt with insets of filmy stuff. It’s quite pretty….and get this. It was $19.99. Okay, no one wears a tall in apple green in December here……but I am looking toward the future. It had been $59.99, marked down to $29.99 and I got it for half off with a coupon. 🙂

So when (yes I said WHEN) you come to the AHS Conference in June, look for the really tall woman in apple green wandering around and helping with the workshops.

andy-b
    Participant

Not for taking on gigs, but I found the neatest little cabinet for those who don’t have tons of music, but still need storage. Regular size music books or sheet music fit great, as well as strings, tuning keys, tuners, etc.

unknown-user
    Participant

Ahhhh yes….music storage! I have music taking over all the surfaces in my music room and the filing cabinet in the spare room. The hubby got cranky when he went to find the rates, and came out with a file of orchestral cadenzas……

I desperately need a bigger music cabinet and also a gadget cabinet, humidifiers, pliers and tools, strings, felts, rubber inserts, more felts, pick ups etc etc etc……

unknown-user
    Participant

Isn’t green the harp column colour? Didn’t some witty gurl ( Frilly) say “May all your harps be green and smelly so we have something to talk about” as a motto?

HAHAHA…..forgot about Frilly saying that. Where has she been anyway?

BTW, tonight as I was finishing my practice (I had to wrap it up as my pup was sittng there, looking through my harp strings with his eyes all big and pleading….”PLEAAAAAAAAAAAASE give me my dinner,”) pup got excited as I started to get up and started dancing on his hindies, and came down — gently but down nonetheless on the base of my harp. I FREAKED OUT……and he was mortified. He knows “harp is off territory” and it was really an accident that he actually touched the harp

unknown-user
    Participant

Hey Briggs,

Wrong thread gurl, this one needs to go on the dog and pony show harp thread one by Smiffy. Good thing he only marked the harp with his paw, and was not marking territory (if you know what I mean, he is a boy dawg after all…)

Actually, good gadget topic in a weird way. Last time I had a harp maker work on one of my harps, we cut out large soundboard shaped chunks of carpet underlay and put them on the soundboard with bits of tape on the knee clock ring thingee. That way if he dropped a screw or screw driver he would not ding the soundboard of the harp…

It was hysterical to look at though, all grey and mohair furry. And kind of smelly…as it was from the spare room and we had pulled up all the old 1950’s green carpet…my goodness…I can feel John D’s eyes coming down on me as I speak!

Another thing I do at gigs to protect the harp a little longer, from people setting up around me, with music stands and violin bows, or lighting guys running around…is that I leave the column and base covers on when I tune. Just if there is bedlum going on at the time…which seems to be happening more and more often these days. What part of “I need access to the hall at least 45 minutes prior to rehearsal to tune and set up” do you not understand????

Not sure how to get this one through to them. I was thinking of just leaving if they do not provide access to the venue to give me adequate time, but then I worry about letting people down (the other musicians, the audience etc)

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Topics

Recent Replies