Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
barbara-brundage
ParticipantFive has been transcribed for lever harp. It is also called andaluza, playera, and various other titles.
There are many pedal harp transcriptions of 5, including Grandjany and Salzedo’s duo harp version. Zoraida is speaking of pedal harp.
barbara-brundage
ParticipantEveryone plays #5 and number 2 is also very popular. I think they are mostly pretty standard literature for harp transcriptions.
barbara-brundage
ParticipantOops, forgot to say, “Hi, Kathy!”
barbara-brundage
Participant> I’m afraid it might be hard to grab, especially on the fly.
Yes, they do not look player-friendly at all.
>the only really important thing is what do they SOUND like…
Well, not if I can’t move them while playing. I can think of at least one existing lever make that is less popular than it would be if you could easily find and flip it.
barbara-brundage
ParticipantChristian, you have to start by putting the photo on the web someplace. Do you have .mac (moble me)?
Then copy the address (URL) of the photo and paste it into a message here using this format:
‹img src=”yourphoto’saddress”›
only using the regular karet () instead.
barbara-brundage
ParticipantYes, they do slide across the keys. Lots of instruments other than the harp play glissandos, after all. We just have lots more of them and they sound so much better. 🙂
As for youtube, you don’t need to create an account at all, unless you want to upload videos or post comments. When you go to that link, isn’t there a play arrow at the left of the timeline? What operating system are you running?
Here’s what I see:

barbara-brundage
ParticipantThanks, Mimi. Hmm, *my* K545 had to leave out a lot of notes, like the whole development section. I wonder how she managed to include those chromatic step moving sections. I find that section awkward even on a pedal harp, and I can’t fathom how she could have done that with levers. I can’t fathom how someone like Anne Marie O’Farrell could have done that with levers, actually.
barbara-brundage
ParticipantIt’s just a white-key scale glissando, so it’s exactly the same on the piano. Think of Chico Marx. 🙂
barbara-brundage
Participant> Pamela Bruner played a very difficult piece (LOTS of lever changes) and got a standing ovation
Anyone remember what this was? I’m curious.
barbara-brundage
ParticipantIs this a new harp? Then I would contact wherever you bought it.
There are no resident harp technicians in S Fl. Ed Galchick comes every January, and if you could get the harp to Orlando or somewhere L&H usually does a road trip to Central FL. I believe that VA Harp Center may have a tech at the Orlando harp weekend next month, but you’d need to contact them to ask them.
barbara-brundage
ParticipantJust to point out, Briggs, that many L&H models have used brass eyelets over the years, so I don’t think this is a a valid argument about tension, etc.
barbara-brundage
Participantann reid gave you very good advice–try it for a while before you buy.
barbara-brundage
ParticipantFirst of all, move the harp into another room and try it there. Very often buzzes are sympathetic vibrations that sound like they are in the harp but are really coming from something else in the room.
If it still buzzes in other rooms, then turn the harp over and check the pedal cap screws (check all the screws down there while you’re at it. If you don’t find it there, stand the harp back up and try touching each of the back plate screws as you play (it’s easier to have a helper for this).
You will rarely find anything “ratttling around” for buzzes. It doesn’t take much.
If you have a teacher, s/he should be willing to help you with this.
barbara-brundage
Participant>You also get a slightly more in tune result this way
That’s assuming your levers are properly regulated. i agree it chews strings like crazy to tune with the levers engaged, but if your levers are out of regulation you may prefer to tune in C with levers engaged till you can do something about the regulation.
(BTW, in much of Europe it’s more common to tune in A-flat [4 flats] these days, rather than E-flat [3 flats])
barbara-brundage
ParticipantIncidentally, this is a *very* old thread. Nowadays you can get just the one song as a download from any number of online sources. Google “‘welcome christmas’ sheet music”
-
AuthorPosts