harpcolumn

How to set B flat?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists How to set B flat?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    renate-kvalsvik
    Participant

Maybe this is a stupid question, but I’ve only played the Celtic lever harp for a little over half a year, and I learn from a book, as there are precious few harp teachers in Norway. What I want to know, is, how do I set my B’s to flat on my harp? Many melodies I’ve come across recently require this. I’d appreciate answers.

Liam M
    Participant

Tune with the lever engaged to B normal, then when you disengage the lever you arrive at B flat. Or use an A sharp.

renate-kvalsvik
    Participant

Oh, thanks.

kay-lister

Renate,

renate-kvalsvik
    Participant

Hey, that sounds like a good piece of advice. I’m glad I found this place 🙂 It’s hard without a teacher. Thank you so much!

Tacye
    Participant

It is kinder to your strings if you always tune with the levers
    disengaged- so tune the open string to Bb (also Eb and Ab) and then
    when you engage the lever you get B (or E or A).

barbara-brundage
    Participant

>You also get a slightly more in tune result this way

That’s assuming your levers are properly regulated. i agree it chews strings like crazy to tune with the levers engaged, but if your levers are out of regulation you may prefer to tune in C with levers engaged till you can do something about the regulation.

(BTW, in much of Europe it’s more common to tune in A-flat [4 flats] these days, rather than E-flat [3 flats])

renate-kvalsvik
    Participant

Thank you for the tips. I’ll make sure my levers are disengaged when I tune. I’m quite sure my levers are properly regulated, I’ve tested them with my tuner and they seem to be all right when engaged as when disengaged.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies