harpcolumn

Did Mozart Compose For the Harp?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists Did Mozart Compose For the Harp?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Fairy Reel
    Participant

I’ve been trying to figure this out…did Mozart compose for the harp, or not? I have several

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Well, he wrote the flute and harp concerto. 🙂

“La tartine de beurre” (the real name of the glissando waltz) is generally considered spurious Mozart, but is a popular beginning piano piece, too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uq9A9U_2s60&feature=related

There’s no good evidence that he even wrote or transcribed this piece (a landler), let alone that he wrote it for harp, I’m afraid.

Mel Sandberg
    Participant

Barbara

I couldn’t access the YouTube link you put in, (I’m short of some or other thing) and I am frightfully curious – I did not know that the Glissando Waltz is a beginners piece on piano too. How is the glissando represented on piano?

barbara-brundage
    Participant

It’s just a white-key scale glissando, so it’s exactly the same on the piano. Think of Chico Marx. 🙂

Mel Sandberg
    Participant

Thanks Barbara, but do they actually slide their fingers across the white keys?

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Yes, they do slide across the keys. Lots of instruments other than the harp play glissandos, after all. We just have lots more of them and they sound so much better. 🙂

As for youtube, you don’t need to create an account at all, unless you want to upload videos or post comments. When you go to that link, isn’t there a play arrow at the left of the timeline? What operating system are you running?

Here’s what I see:

Mel Sandberg
    Participant

Hi Barbara

No, I don’t see the picture or the timeline, or a play-arrow at all.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies