barbara-brundage

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1,171 through 1,185 (of 1,501 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Proper Position??? #86685
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    FWIW, the current thinking on this generally seems to be that it’s okay to use either 3 or 4 as long as you don’t use both, but there are some schools of playing that are stricter than others about which is acceptable.

    in reply to: Music Notation question #86692
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Pres de la table above the treble means right hand plays down, between the staves, both hands, and below the bass staff is left hand only.

    in reply to: Music Notation question #86691
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    It probably means either to play pres de la table (if it’s like a long trill) or low on the strings but not right at the soundboard if if its more open (probably what you mean by the sawblade).

    in reply to: Large print music for beginners #162545
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    I forget the name, ann, but the problem with is is that you need to use a foot pedal to scroll the music.

    I don’t know about you and the OP, but when I was starting, I had enough trouble with just the music stuff, without having to worry about controlling other devices while playing. 🙂

    in reply to: Harp Emergency! #166659
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Also, if you just want the feel of the pedal harp strings, there are many, many lever harps that have a higher tension than your current harp probably does.

    The bad news is that no, there are not readily-available grants to get pedal harps, at least not in the US.

    in reply to: Granados Twelve Spanish Dances #110775
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Incidentally, ann, sorry for calling you anne with an e before.

    in reply to: Granados Twelve Spanish Dances #110774
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Thanks, Zoraida. The only thing I know besides what you mentioned is that McDonald’s transcription of Rumores de la Caleta is pretty much just a refingering of Bruno’s. Bruno made a number of changes from the original like switching octaves in the repeated ‘murmurs’ and all those are preserved in McDonald’s edition.

    I believe that International Music Service (lyramusic.com) has a number of Bruno transcriptions available. I know that’s where I got the Albeniz.

    in reply to: Stupid Mistake Help? #110803
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Or you could donate it to a library and take the tax deduction.

    in reply to: Stupid Mistake Help? #110802
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    BTW, that’s not an out of line price for that book in that condition. You might be able to recoup some of your loss by reselling it to a dealer, although of course prices are always a lot less when they are buying.

    in reply to: Stupid Mistake Help? #110801
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    >d I fired off an email to the seller informing him of my intention never to buy from him again,

    It might have been more productive to ask about how to return it, but too late now. Most online booksellers have pretty generous return policies, especially if you are buying from someplace like alibris or abe.

    If you bought from amazon marketplace, you should know that if the price says “x number of used and new from $xx.xx,” that almost always means that most of what’s there is going to be used. Don’t buy from amazon unless you see “sold by and shipped from amazon.com” or you know who the third-part seller is, since amazon marketplace gives you less recourse than anywhere except maybe ebay.

    in reply to: Harps in the score to Wall-E #110815
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Thanks, David. I was wondering who it was–very nice score.

    in reply to: Granados Twelve Spanish Dances #110767
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    I think the Oriental (#2) is very effective, and it is frequently performed on harp.

    in reply to: Granados Twelve Spanish Dances #110764
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Zoraida, do you know anything about Ginevra Bruno? I’ve seen her name on transcriptions but I’ve never been able to get any biographical info about her, and obviously her transcriptions were very influential on McDonald’s.

    BTW, Anne, thanks for starting this thread–you’ve gotten me inspired to go back and play some of these pieces again.

    in reply to: Delacour Levers – a new star is born #68606
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Also, David (I think that’s who) and a few others over the years have used levers with a fork system in the past, as does the Dilling harp, although those work differently, of course.

    in reply to: Granados Twelve Spanish Dances #110759
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Oops. Just realized I made the duo sound like a joint effort. Mr. Grandjany has a solo transcription (available through International Music), Salzedo a duo version.

    Bonnie Biggs has a duo lever harp version in addition to the various solo versions for levers.

Viewing 15 posts - 1,171 through 1,185 (of 1,501 total)