barbara-brundage

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 976 through 990 (of 1,501 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: L&H Troubadour Light #68265
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    > an older Troubadour that my teacher has and it is strung with nylon strings which does have much lighter tension

    But that’s just older pedal harp tension. Once upon a time, that’s what pedal harps felt like. 🙂

    in reply to: Another American Harp site ? #152221
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    >You can use PayPal with just a credit card for a limited total amount — a few hundred US dollars, as I recall. Once you hit the limit, they won’t let you use PayPal anymore without setting up a PayPal account.

    That was true, but I think it’s been changed. I don’t like using paypal directly and I’ve certainly paid for more than a few hundred dollars worth of stuff with a credit card on sites using paypal for checkout in the past year.

    in reply to: Making CDs #147851
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Isn’t that the same list they’ve always had? Even back in the horse and buggy days when I was looking at music schools you couldn’t get into any of the big schools if your technique was at the same level as the list stuff, and that’s exponentially more true now.

    in reply to: Lever flipping #160578
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    When I say ‘better’ I don’t mean in terms of playing–they’re fairly similar there. L&H can be kind of stiff and camac handles are visually a tad confusing because of that swept back design, so that’s a wash as far as I’m concerned.

    But you sure can’t regulate a performance lever anywhere near as quickly and easily as a camac lever, which is why I think the camacs are superior.

    in reply to: Lever flipping #160575
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    L&H uses their own performance levers, made specially for them. They’re okay, but camacs are better.

    in reply to: L&H Troubadour Light #68260
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Given that it’s a 2009 harp, no info on such a thing on the L&H website and so on, it may have been a one-off done as a prototype or a special order harp. I’ve sure never heard of it, and if Kathy Chanik hasn’t seen one, it can’t be in production. 🙂

    in reply to: L&H Troubadour Light #68257
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    I should add that I received the message because they also removed my reply to Carl’s post, since it wouldn’t have made sense by itself, not because I have any kind of secret connection to the staff here. 🙂

    in reply to: L&H Troubadour Light #68256
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Yes, it’s a very barebones forum. I received a message from the moderator that Carl’s post was removed at the request of another poster, and I expect that’s true, since this is not a very much moderated site.

    There’s no way to delete your own post, either, once it’s posted. You would have to email the Harp Column to ask for a deletion.

    in reply to: L&H Troubadour Light #68254
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Hi, Sidney. It’s really not secret. You can read about it Roslyn Rensch’s book, in the AHJ issues for when it happened, lots of places. There was no attempt to do it in a hidden fashion. It was widely announced when it happened. For quite a while Salvi harps were being assembled in Chicago for the American market, and today both L&H and Salvi pedal harps share an awful lot of engineering/parts.

    in reply to: L&H Troubadour Light #68252
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Yes, L&H was purchased by Les Arts Mechaniques, the parent company of Salvi Harps, in 1987.

    in reply to: Catholic Confirmation Service #152244
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Okay, Pheona. When my Thormahlen comes back I’ll try to get something put up for you.

    in reply to: Another American Harp site ? #152213
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    When you go to check out at a website that uses paypal, if the site has set things up correctly, you should see an option to either log in to your paypal account or continue without it and pay with a credit card. You’ll usually get a couple of messages extolling the virtues of creating an account, but unless they didn’t encode things correctly, you can just pay with your credit card rather than create an account.

    Occasionally, the merchant’s site designer will have copied the wrong code for the paypal entry page, and then it can be very hard to find the credit card option. But look for a bunch of little credit card icons-all the different kinds of cards, all in a row.

    in reply to: Another American Harp site ? #152211
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    >I’ll consider to make a paypal account for payment.

    Paypal allows you to use a credit card if you don’t have an account with them.

    in reply to: Lever Key #160540
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    If you still have a teacher, it’s much, much easier to understand all this with the harp in front of you–ask her/him at your next lesson. Ray Pool also has a booklet called “tuning the lever harp in E-flat” that some people have found helpful.

    Me, if a student has no musical background, I’ll let them tune with levers up for a couple of weeks till we get to the point where they start to understand what a key signature is. Yes, it’s harder on the harp, but it’s so much easier on the student.

    in reply to: Watermark by Enya #152268
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    The sheet music for piano is readily available from many sources, and it works pretty well with very little editing.

Viewing 15 posts - 976 through 990 (of 1,501 total)