column

L&H Troubadour Light

Home Forums Harps and Accessories L&H Troubadour Light

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    sidney-butler
    Participant

Has anyone tried a light tension troubadour?

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

Sidney,

I don’t think that Lyon and Healy makes a Troubadour with light tension.

sidney-butler
    Participant
    Jerusha Amado
    Participant

Sidney,

Thanks for the link.

kathy-chanik
    Participant

Wow, this is fascinating-a Troubador with lighter tension strings.

sidney-butler
    Participant

Yup!

andy-b
    Participant

I’d like to point out that the term lever harp simply means a harp that has levers instead of the pedal action mechanism. L&H and Salvi lever harps ARE “real” lever harps in any sense of the word. Now it is true that lever harps may have a wide range of voice, resonance,

brook-boddie
    Participant

Sidney, as Andy said, there are many people who prefer the sound of a pedal harp and are grateful to have lever harps that produce that sound.

sidney-butler
    Participant

And this would be why I put the word “real” in quotes.

andy-b
    Participant

Sidney, my apologies if I misinterpreted what you meant. As someone who writes professionally for a living, I tend to interpret the written word literally. When you said “lever harp” and referred to how a lever harp should sound, I didn’t realize you strictly meant folk harps and folk harp sound. I agreed with you in my first post that the Prelude and Troubadour don’t have a celtic or folk sound. But I do still feel that those concert tension and sounding lever harps are not just for those starting out until you can switch to pedal as many of our regular posters demonstrate.

william-weber
    Participant

Sidney, I find it strange that you conflate the two names Salvi and Lyon&Healy around a virgule, as if they were secret twins or something. Salvi is the choice of Orla Fallon, Cormac Debarra, and Moya Brennan, all of them well-known Celtic harp players.

sidney-butler
    Participant

Thanks Andy.

sidney-butler
    Participant

“Secret twins?”

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Yes, L&H was purchased by Les Arts Mechaniques, the parent company of Salvi Harps, in 1987.

sidney-butler
    Participant

Another hint at their merging is their music published under Salvi Publications and also often has “LHS” references somewhere.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.