harpcolumn

Making CDs

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Professional Harpists Making CDs

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Sarah Mullen
    Participant

I’ve recorded four cds in so many different places.

Sarah Mullen
    Participant

I agree about editing the harp.

adam-b-harris
    Participant

In my other post I was really talking about using a click track for ensemble work. Not really necessary for solo harp but you may want to use one anyway depending on what you are doing.

Click track bleed can be a real pain when working with acoustic instruments. I use Direct Sound Extreme Isolation headphones which are excellent for minimizing these problems. The trouble is, as the bit that goes over your ear is a bit hefty, I find myself having to tilt my head to the left a little to stop it from knocking into the harp!

Also I’ve found that if you an EQ the click so as some of the high frequencies are rolled off then there is less chance of it bleeding through.

Thank you Sarah, for all that insight. Indeed, my bedroom has 12 foot ceilings and a small recess in a wall that gives it a nice bit of echo, but there is too much ambient noise and a very tall window that would be hard to block off completely.
    I would not mic close to the hands because you pick up all kinds of finger noise and attack, and that is not the sound of the harp. The best recordings I have had so far have been at least six feet away from the harp.
    I would never use a click track. Music is not meant to be metronomic. For overdubbing, or studio work, that’s different.
    I have a chapel to record in, just have to select an engineer now.

Sarah Mullen
    Participant

I like having a mic closer to the hands to pick up detail, and one six
    feet away for the fuller sound.

Misty Harrison
    Participant

is it maybe that Sarah has less finger noise than Saul might because she’s playing lever harp?

maybe recording lever harp is different

Sarah Mullen
    Participant

In my experience the lever harps have more finger noise because of the lower string tension.

Misty Harrison
    Participant

oh I see

I’ve never played lever harp

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies