barbara-brundage

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 991 through 1,005 (of 1,501 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Lever Key #160534
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    A flat would be B-flat, E-flat, A-flat, and D-flat, or tune in C with those levers up.

    Usually people don’t actually tune in G unless the harp doesn’t have levers, but if you did it would be tune in the key of G (tune in C, then either tune the Fs to sharp or put up the F levers after tuning if you have them.)

    in reply to: Lever Key #160532
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    To clarify:

    If you tuned the harp in the key of C (no sharps, no flats, no levers up) you’re in C.

    If you tuned in E-flat (tuned A,B, E to flat or put those levers up before tuning in C) you’re in E-flat.

    If you tuned in F (tuned Bs to flat or put up B levers before tuning in C), you’re in F.

    in reply to: Lever Key #160531
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Whatever key you tuned the harp in. In the US, mostly likely C, E-flat, or F. In Europe could also be A-flat.

    in reply to: First Wedding Gig #160350
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Both her requests, no Wagner, and Canon for the Bride, are actually very common, Sidney. You should find out which part of the Canon she wants, though, since you probably won’t have time to play much of it; does she want the slow part or the faster part?

    in reply to: teeny harps? #109688
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Oops, Passacaglia (although I know you know)

    in reply to: teeny harps? #109687
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    It was in the Passaglia thread, Saul, in reference to Tiny Beon, of course. 🙂

    in reply to: Making Money #109729
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Incidentally, I don’t mean that in a snarky way. It’s a simple statement of fact. Music publishing isn’t all that profitable even for the big houses these days, and I wouldn’t recommend setting up even as a piano arranger if income is mostly what you’re looking for.

    As for the copyright issues, if you’re in Indonesia (I think that’s what you said; apologies if I’ve got that wrong) or anywhere in the Pacific Basin/Asia, American copyright law doesn’t apply.

    in reply to: Making Money #109728
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Oops, I forgot to mention that the so-called Sonny Bono extension allows copyright holders to extend their copyrights for much longer than the traditional period, if they wish to.

    in reply to: Making Money #109727
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    You know, Indra, I’m awfully curious as to how much money you think you can make this way. If your main interest is making money, then busk on a street corner or get a Sunday brunch if you can. Either would be more profitable.

    in reply to: Making Money #109726
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    >Copyright ownership is currently: The life of the composer plus an addition 70 years. After that, it becomes public domain.

    Sorry, but this is kind of outdated information. It’s true if:

    Copyright was not maintained in the original country of publication

    OR

    the copyright holder has not moved to re-establish copyright in the US.

    Copyright laws in other countries are different.

    >Weddings/receptions etc. are usually safe because it is a non-profit event.

    It’s not the non-profit nature, but the *non-public* nature of these functions that makes this apply.

    in reply to: Ethnography #109733
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    >I think someone with no knowledge of the harp would probably have a hard time following some of our conversations due to the terms we use and the way we use them.

    Several years ago I took my style 23, which had been dropped, to a conference to have it evaluated, then was chatting with another harpist who also had problems. The conversation went something like this:

    “Carl says I just need a new neck, but Peter thinks I may need a whole new body. How about you?”

    “Oh, I just need a foot.”

    in reply to: Lever flipping #160573
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Maria, since I don’t think Anne Marie is around here much, here’s a link to her published music:

    http://www.iol.ie/~amofharp/compositions_arrangements.html

    She has the Bach prelude in C that several people have done, plus two fairly easy Bach preludes, but not the arrangements from her amazing “Just So Bach” recording.

    in reply to: How do they get graded? #160942
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Yes it is. She says so in the comments:

    >Thank you for the comment, I am not left-handed, and I was shocked to see that yes the harp appears to be on my left shoulder. I think when I was taping I must have clicked on mirror image. I checked my other videos and on two of them the harp appears on my left.

    in reply to: THe Perfect Harp Car #145282
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    What do you mean, Michelle Marie? The back seat down–yes, of course. The passenger’s seat in the front, no.

    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Oh, meant to say I’m sorry to hear about your Landcruiser.

Viewing 15 posts - 991 through 1,005 (of 1,501 total)