barbara-brundage

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 961 through 975 (of 1,501 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Sightreading Orchestra #109532
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    In my student days I played in a group like that. It *was* fun. I played the bass parts to all the Beethoven symphonies, just so I wouldn’t be sitting there doing nothng.

    I think there used to be far, far more groups like this (as I recall there were a couple others even in culturally benighted Miami back then), before the idea that you have to monetize every breath you take became so prevalent.

    in reply to: Historical harp recordings #109504
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Roslyn Rensch’s second book, “The Harp, Its History, Technique, and Repertoire”, contains a fairly comprehensive list of recordings (at least in the US) up to the time of its publication.

    in reply to: Parking fees #152162
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    I ask the valets if the bride is covering the parking for the wedding and if so, see if I can get my ticket stamped (some venues will do this for musicians anyway, if you ask nicely).

    If not, I pay it, get a receipt, deduct it, and remember. If it’s a lot, like $25 or more, I tell future brides that there’s an extra charge for their chosen venue because of my extra expense to do the job.

    in reply to: Broken String Question #160643
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Broken strings are a normal part of playing the harp. You need to learn to change them, and if you can afford it it’s nice to keep a set of extra strings on hand so you can always just switch out a broken one and go on.

    No one is to blame when strings break and there’s nothing at all to be concerned about unless you keep breaking the same string over and over in a short period of time.

    in reply to: looking for a pedal harp piece written after 1950 #152117
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    I’m surprised nobody has mentioned Bernard Andres yet.

    in reply to: Hasselmans Gondoliera op. 39 #152173
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Wanna wait for shipping?

    http://www.harplore.com.au/classica.htm

    (It’s on the CD ‘The Fountain’ by Louise Johnson)

    in reply to: New Harp Trick #160680
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    >I’ll try it out more often!

    If you’re sitting properly at a pedal harp, the harp should be pretty nearly at the balance point, where a single finger would suffice to hold it in position, and it should rest on the inside of your right knee, pretty much. You need your shoulders to be free to allow full movt of your arm, regardless of what method you play. If the harp is really leaning any significant weight on your shoulder, you’re asking for all kinds of physical trouble down the road if you practice much. Usually you’re sitting to far away or too low if the harp is leaning its weight on you. It also makes the harp rock around in a very distracting way when you play.

    There are a few harps out there that have no balance point, but not very many, fortunately.

    in reply to: Ordering Unusual Music #152194
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    They have a nice list, certainly, but there are many gaps in their online catalog, for sure.

    in reply to: Royal Harpist accused of burglary and fraud #109617
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    >She may be an innocent party caught in a scam that used her or any number of variations on any number of scenarios

    This is very true, but from the standpoint of the effect on the rest of us, it doesn’t really matter. The damage is done, even if she’s later acquitted (that will be a page 27 story, not a page 2 story).

    in reply to: Royal Harpist accused of burglary and fraud #109614
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    >I wonder if my harp and I will be strip searched at my next gig to make sure I am not walking out the door with the family jewels and silver spoons stuffed in my harp base?

    Yes, that was my first thought. All the times I’ve had to deal with security goons in the past, I could just point to the harp and point out that if I wanted to case the joint there were easier ways to gain access. Not anymore. 🙁

    in reply to: Repetoire for Beginners #85790
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    >with some introduction to harp earlier in life

    That’s the difference, Dawn. And you’re a professional musician on other instruments, too, so you don’t have the note reading challenge to conquer. Most real beginners with no music background would swoon with dismay at all the notes in the Poenitz, you know. 🙂

    in reply to: Repetoire for Beginners #85788
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    At your level, I would suggest the Betty Paret pieces “Moonlight”, “I Hear a Harp” and “Berceuse de Noel” but you should have a lesson when you start any of them to be sure you understand how the fingering should be and what some of the symbols mean.

    in reply to: Repetoire for Beginners #85787
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    >had to back off from those financially, plus my practicing

    If you want to progress, you *have* to practice. Sorry, but that’s just the way it is. And if you’re at Fun from the First level, you DO need a good teacher if you want to develop classical technique. I realize it’s very hard, and I have a lot of adult students whose lives get in the way of the things they like doing, such as playing the harp, but in those situations you just have to cut yourself some slack and accept that it’s going to take longer, a lot longer, than if you could practice regularly every day and had someone to help you along when you start new music.

    in reply to: Repetoire for Beginners #85786
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    >Those are far from beginner pieces, Jean

    I meant the Annie Louise David books, just to clarify.

    in reply to: Repetoire for Beginners #85785
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Those are far from beginner pieces, Jean. If you are still on Fun from the First, you would be hugely frustrated. Have you discussed this with your teacher? Do you trust your teacher’s judgment? Can you discuss things with your teacher?

Viewing 15 posts - 961 through 975 (of 1,501 total)