Audrey Nickel

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 547 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Question regarding Strings Squeaking. #162449
    Audrey Nickel
    Participant

    Could weather have something to do with it? (changes in humidity, for example).

    in reply to: Buying a new harp #162496
    Audrey Nickel
    Participant

    Why “under 27 strings”?

    in reply to: Buying a new harp #162493
    Audrey Nickel
    Participant

    Having said my bit on the harp (and you know, harpers are a bit like us Episcopalians…wherever two or more are gathered, you’ll find at least three opinions!), I want to address the “no teacher” issue.

    A lot of us, myself included, started out without a teacher.

    in reply to: Buying a new harp #162489
    Audrey Nickel
    Participant

    I would say that, if the choice is between a Ravenna and a Harpsicle with levers, the Ravenna would be the better harp for right around the same price (by the time you start putting levers on Harpsicles, they start to creep up into the Ravenna range very quickly), even if you have to get it without levers initially (unlike the Harpsicle, the Ravenna can have levers added as you need them).

    in reply to: Wire harps and sound holes #162105
    Audrey Nickel
    Participant

    It sounds like the mahogany will be a bit more involved than the cherry.

    in reply to: Wire harps and sound holes #162102
    Audrey Nickel
    Participant

    He’s not making harps in cherry anymore…only in the laminated mahogany.

    in reply to: Wire harps and sound holes #162100
    Audrey Nickel
    Participant

    Well, it looks like we’ve come to a decision!

    I sat down yesterday and made a list of the various kits (both wire and nylon) and “finishing projects” out there…their prices, their strengths and weaknesses, potential value of the finished instrument (not monetary value, but its value as as a good, playable instrument that I can enjoy for years to come), the amount and kind of work and expertise that would have to go into each.

    in reply to: Stoney End Braunwen #162473
    Audrey Nickel
    Participant

    This is not intended to be a hijack, but since we’re talking Stoney End…

    Has anyone here played Stoney End’s “Clairseach”?

    in reply to: Hip pain when playing harp??? #162592
    Audrey Nickel
    Participant

    It’s a good idea to ask her teacher to evaluate her posture when playing (with the pain problem in mind).

    in reply to: Photos from Ireland #162586
    Audrey Nickel
    Participant

    A ha!

    in reply to: Photos from Ireland #162585
    Audrey Nickel
    Participant

    Well…Irish is an entirely different language.

    in reply to: Truitt, Camac or Loveland Levers #162430
    Audrey Nickel
    Participant

    Oh…probably should add that I’ve not had to have my levers regulated in 2 1/2 years either.

    in reply to: Truitt, Camac or Loveland Levers #162429
    Audrey Nickel
    Participant

    I have no basis for comparison, but I do have to say that I like my Loveland levers.

    in reply to: Favorite lever hymns? #162499
    Audrey Nickel
    Participant

    I absolutely love the Irish hymn “Mo Ghrasa, Mo Dhia” (you’ll have to imagine the correct accent on the “a” in “ghrasa,” since this forum script doesn’t support it).

    in reply to: “Thru pins” = “tapered pins? #162597
    Audrey Nickel
    Participant

    Ah…so the Dusty has something of a hybrid, then!

    Thru pins will definitely be what I’m looking for, then.

Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 547 total)