harpcolumn

Wire harps and sound holes

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists Wire harps and sound holes

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    Liam M
    Participant

Thank you!

I will get in touch with them. I have been contemplating building a jig to test string gage and length. I also have a very strange idea for the soundboard I want to try.

Do you see any distortion,

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

Well, it looks like we’ve come to a decision!

I sat down yesterday and made a list of the various kits (both wire and nylon) and “finishing projects” out there…their prices, their strengths and weaknesses, potential value of the finished instrument (not monetary value, but its value as as a good, playable instrument that I can enjoy for years to come), the amount and kind of work and expertise that would have to go into each.

Liam M
    Participant

I will be happy to help any way that I can.

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

He’s not making harps in cherry anymore…only in the laminated mahogany.

Liam M
    Participant

Audrey,

Ahh the Cherry is beautiful!!

Liam M
    Participant

Mineral SPIRITS!! We are not trying to give it a laxative!!!

Ach!!

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

It sounds like the mahogany will be a bit more involved than the cherry.

Liam M
    Participant

Well the Danish Oil does come in staining versions… in fact I highlight my sound holes with walnut DO and the rest is natural DO. As DO in the more concentrated forms, does fill… I am not sure if putty is needed…

The soundboard you only do finishing sanding in prep for the DO application. Extremely fine grit and very light so I doubt the birch is in any danger.

Karen Johns
    Participant

Hi Audrey-

I have a walnut Limerick wire harp that I recently built from a Musicmaker’s

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

I actually have a bit of an update as well…it looks like my Dreamsinger may be in cherry after all.

Liam M
    Participant

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

Ah…she’s lovely!

Karen Johns
    Participant

I have the Voyageur! If you do get the kit, I recommend you get the performance string set with it. Has an absolutely beautiful tone. I also recommend getting Truitt levers for this harp as well. This harp comes in cherry as well, so it will be a nice match for your Dreamsinger. Best of luck!

Liam M
    Participant

Thank you Audrey… She did come out well.

As to my impression….well my fingers have found their dance floor!

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

That’s good to hear!

I’ve heard that Muis uses an unusual stringing system (using one wire for two strings by running it down through one string hole and up through another).

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 50 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies