Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
Audrey Nickel
ParticipantHmmm…this one from Stoney End is also offered as a kit:
http://www.stoneyend.com/clarseach.html
And appears to be designed specifically for wire (though I notice it also seems to lack sound holes on the front).
Audrey Nickel
ParticipantWell, you see, the thing is, he wants to build one, not just finish one.
Audrey Nickel
ParticipantThanks…that’s useful info.
Audrey Nickel
ParticipantThat’s what he’s done…reversed the color of the C’s and the F’s.
I got an email from him saying the harp is tuned in G because tuning it up to concert pitch would be too much stress on the PVC.
Audrey Nickel
ParticipantIt might be worth contacting L&H about it.
Audrey Nickel
ParticipantThey are indeed truly beginner friendly.
Audrey Nickel
ParticipantI wouldn’t say “HAVE” to, as I do know wire harpers who also use the finger pads (although that’s in addition to, not instead of, the nails), but certainly it’s traditional, and the characteristic sound of wire would be hard to obtain without it.
As someone who has distressingly flexible nails (mine don’t break, but they bend very easily), I’ve often wondered about the possibility of using finger pics on wire…
Audrey
Audrey Nickel
ParticipantI would say that “Trip of a Lifetime” pretty much sums it up.
Audrey Nickel
ParticipantI think the whole objection to nails on nylon really comes from gut, which is much more fragile than nylon, at least in the sizes used for folk harps.
Audrey
Audrey Nickel
ParticipantIs Jan playing on the teacher’s harp?
Audrey Nickel
ParticipantI wonder if your teacher isn’t more accustomed to gut?
Audrey Nickel
ParticipantUC Santa Cruz has an excellent music program (I know because our choral scholars all come from UCSC).
Audrey Nickel
ParticipantMy teacher plays both wire (with the nails) and nylon.
Audrey Nickel
ParticipantI feel very blessed to have been there.
Audrey Nickel
ParticipantIt’ll be a long time before I can afford another harp, but I’ve been known to do a fair amount of drooling myself.
-
AuthorPosts