alice-freeman

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 126 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Music for 22 strings #159903
    alice-freeman
    Spectator

    Also check out music published by Cindy Kleinstuber Blevins for her husband’s Blevins Mezzo 23. That harp is strung down to the F below middle C. 2 volumes of “Elegant Music for the Lovely Lap Harp” are some of my favorites.

    in reply to: Outdoor Event – how cold is too cold? #151284
    alice-freeman
    Spectator

    What a mess! I don’t know what you could have done in this situation, but when I have a contract it specifies that I don’t play in temperatures

    in reply to: Harp and Yoga Relaxation #108982
    alice-freeman
    Spectator

    I do the same kind of playing (mostly improvisation) for a Tai Chi group that meets once a week. People find it very helpful.

    in reply to: Pedal question #159942
    alice-freeman
    Spectator

    Yes, it is best to leave the pedals in the “up” or “flat” position. This leaves the least amount of tension on the strings and on the instrument. For greatest accuracy, you should also be tuning with the pedals in this position, too.

    — Alice in windy Wyoming

    in reply to: weddings that start very very late #151419
    alice-freeman
    Spectator

    That’s a wonderful story, David. Someone was certainly looking out for you and your harp that day!

    in reply to: weddings that start very very late #151411
    alice-freeman
    Spectator

    Since I collect my final payment for all weddings 30-days in advance of the event, I think Carl’s suggestion of a firm and clear STOP time in your contract would be easier to enforce than trying to collect an overtime payment or late fee on the day of the wedding.

    in reply to: Two harp positioning in orchestra #151155
    alice-freeman
    Spectator

    Fascinating topic. I wish there was a standard. I’ve been playing second harp in a University orchestra behind the first violin section for the last 10 years and the faculty member who plays first harp always insists on sitting on the outside. I do my best to follow her….

    in reply to: String Popping…a record? #109756
    alice-freeman
    Spectator

    I had 11 strings break in the first 8 months on a lever harp shipped from California to Wyoming. One of those was on stage just before a performance but the rest were sitting around my house. Then it settled down for a year and just broke 2 strings in the last month as the weather as been changing (much rain and heavy wet snow).

    My pedal harp rarely breaks strings, and only once (a 2nd octave B) during a performance on a hot July day. I didn’t need that string and ignored the problem for the rest of that piece. Interestingly the pastor standing on the opposite side of the altar was quite unaware anything had happened while I quietly changed the string during the service.

    in reply to: College harp teacher of French Method? #152250
    alice-freeman
    Spectator

    Well, don’t consider the University of Wyoming. The harp instructor there is a Salzedo harpist with a Bachelor’s in Music Education from Wyoming.

    in reply to: College/university teachers of the French Method? #85770
    alice-freeman
    Spectator

    Well, don’t consider the University of Wyoming. The harp instructor there is a Salzedo harpist with a Bachelor’s in Music Education from Wyoming.

    in reply to: How do you know if you should quit? #160506
    alice-freeman
    Spectator

    Another idea to consider Gillian, is taking a break from the harp (as others have suggested) and focusing on the tension and stress issues. These have been a big problem for me and lessons in the Alexander Technique have made a world of difference in my harp playing and overall enjoyment in living.

    Check out http://www.alexandertechnique.com/

    in reply to: Lever flipping #160569
    alice-freeman
    Spectator

    There actually are several good books for flipping levers:

    in reply to: meeting the posters of this forum #110144
    alice-freeman
    Spectator

    We met Tacye when she was still in school in England. A delightful person and charming tour guide for a couple of awestruck Americans in Cambridge.

    in reply to: meeting the posters of this forum #110130
    alice-freeman
    Spectator

    Jan Jennings — love her books, her arrangements and her philosophies as a successful, gigging harpist.

    in reply to: Fingering #86159
    alice-freeman
    Spectator

    I frequently did not use my first teacher’s fingerings because they really did not work for me. Her fingers were each an inch or more longer than mine (we compared hands one day at my request) and I could not play arpeggios the way she could because I simply could not reach the notes without hitting adjacent strings in the process. I worked on some of the same music with a second teacher whose hands are the same size as mine and the difference in fingering technique is truly amazing. I’m not saying that you are this kind of teacher, Mel, but just trying to shed some light from a student’s point of view for why we don’t always follow the teacher’s instructions. My first teacher always thought I could “stretch” given enough time and practice and never recognized hand size as a limitation.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 126 total)