harpcolumn

College/university teachers of the French Method?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Teaching the Harp College/university teachers of the French Method?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    janie-kesselman
    Participant

We are just embarking on the journey of finding the right university for my daughter, who has been schooled in the French method up to now (student of Laura Porter) and wants to continue as a harp performance major in college.

She prefers a university to a music conservatory since she wants a broader college education than a conservatory would offer.

Who would you recommend? What schools? (We are especially interested in schools in the western part of the country.)

Thanks for any clues!

Janie

alice-freeman
    Spectator

Well, don’t consider the University of Wyoming. The harp instructor there is a Salzedo harpist with a Bachelor’s in Music Education from Wyoming.

Katrina Szederkenyi
    Participant

Well, she’s probably not interested (or it’s otherwise maybe not possible) to study abroad? Most teachers teach the french method in Europe. I myself am finishing my studies in Vienna and I was taught a firm french technique.

unknown-user
    Participant

I’m sorry that I don’t have advice about a specific school, but I can offer this advice to help guide you in your own search.

I’m not entirely sure that you should be emphasizing the teacher’s method (unless your daughter is still learning technique, but I can’t imagine that being the reality if she is going into college soon) as much as you are. As long as the teacher can help your daughter grow as a musician (and as long as the teacher isn’t an intolerant

University of Minnesota, Kathy Kienzle, instructor.

USC, JoAnne Turovsky

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies