alice-freeman

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 126 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Rennisance #83157
    alice-freeman
    Spectator

    How about some of the following? These are all available from Melody’s.

    • Six Medieval and Renaissance Melodies by Joyce Weaver (Beginner)
    • A Renaissance Harper’s Notebook (Volumes 1 to 4) by Sylvia Fellows (Lower Intermediate)
    • Renaissance Music for the Harp by Deborah Friou (Lower Intermediate)
    • Easy Classics for Harp – The Renaissance Era by Daniel Burton (Lower Intermediate)
    • Green Grows the Holly (Medieval and Renaissance Christmas Carols) by Suzanne Guldimann (Intermediate)
    • Renaissance Songes of the Merrie Cavalier by Robin Arioto Fickle (Intermediate)
    • Renaissance Songes of the Merrie Jester by Robin Arioto Fickle (Intermediate)
    • Renaissance Faire Companion by Cynthia Shelhart (melody line only, requires teaching how to accompany a Fake Book tune)

    — Alice in windy Wyoming

    in reply to: How to inspect harp shipped at high temperature #71550
    alice-freeman
    Spectator

    I don’t have an answer to your question, but I was fascinated on the last afternoon of the World Harp Congress in Vancouver last week to watch people loading up boxes of Lyon & Healy

    in reply to: How do you organise your music? #104807
    alice-freeman
    Spectator

    I use plastic tubs with hanging legal-size folders. The folders come with little plastic labels which are anchored to the top where I can label the folder, usually by author and title. The tubs are not quite as convenient as a filing cabinet because invariably the one I want is under two or three others, but it allows for great flexibility in organizing. One tub is for orchestra music, another for teaching materials, another for pedal harp solos, another for hammered dulcimer music, another for ensemble music, another for Celtic, another for New Age, another for Christmas, etc. I usually file the folders of music by composer/arranger in alphabetical order and I maintain an Access database of all the books and sheet music so I can identify quickly which tub contains the music I want. An organizer freak? Well, maybe, but I love being able to immediately find whatever music I need.
    — Alice in windy Wyoming

    in reply to: Blowing off Eastern Shore steam! #105938
    alice-freeman
    Spectator

    Yeah, Wyoming isn’t that bad. Highest EVER recorded temperature in Laramie is 94º F and then the humidity was probably about 15%. Our problem is not so much high temperatures as 20-30 mph breezes that will blow a harp over, or at least create so much sound through the strings that it drowns out the un-amplified officiant.
    — Alice in windy Wyoming

    in reply to: ISFHC Facebook Fan Page #147881
    alice-freeman
    Spectator

    I’m sorry you had difficulties, Elizabeth. I tried to set the permissions so you could view the Wall, Info, Events and Photos without needing a Facebook account and being logged in. As soon as you want to “do” anything, like post on the Wall, it does require you to log in to your Facebook account.

    Hope this helps.

    — Alice in windy Wyoming

    in reply to: Windy Weather #106044
    alice-freeman
    Spectator

    I have an exclusion clause in my contracts that I don’t play in winds over 20 mph and I carry a small hand-held anemometer that measures air flow from 6 to 35 mph in my gig bag in case there are any arguments. I also state a minimum temperature of 60º F. and have a small clock/thermometer with me.

    Winds are almost always an issue in Wyoming and my worst experience was with a Triplett Catalina and sustained winds of 15-18 with gusts over 35 mph. Fortunately I could set up with the wind at my back and it was a very short ceremony. Even so, I have a knitted, 1-inch wide

    in reply to: Carbon fiber harps #157196
    alice-freeman
    Spectator

    As an owner of a traditional pedal harp, two Triplett lever harps and a carbon fiber harp, I have an opinion.

    When you pluck the string on a wood harp, let’s say you hear 7 harmonic overtones besides the original tone.

    When you pluck the same string on a carbon fiber harp, by comparison you might hear only 4 harmonic overtones besides the original tone.

    The tone is very pleasant and definitely sounds like a harp — it’s just a little different from a wood harp when played side-by-side. Alone, I think it sounds terrific.

    In the mid-range of a carbon fiber harp you can order nylon, fluorocarbon or gut strings. I think the nylon sounds brighter and the fluorocarbon sounds a bit more mellow. (I have fluorocarbon strings for stability in tuning; one of my students has nylon on the same model — the “Delight”.) I have not heard gut strings on a carbon fiber harp.

    Hope this helps.

    — Alice in windy Wyoming

    in reply to: HARP STOLEN from Cancer Patient in BC #72080
    alice-freeman
    Spectator
    Please let Ann Lidstone know that Interpol has a searchable registry of
    stolen art.
    in reply to: Following up leads from Bridal Shows #148294
    alice-freeman
    Spectator

    I’ve been doing Bridal Shows in two different towns for the last 5 years and usually book 1 or 2 weddings from each show. I have given up on doing any follow-up from the lead lists. None of my efforts ever led to additional bookings.

    For what it’s worth, I live/work in a rural area where we might have100 brides attend a show on good day. Local word-of-mouth seems to work better for me.

    — Alice in windy Wyoming

    in reply to: Cracked Neck #72208
    alice-freeman
    Spectator

    How sad. Sorry for your accident.

    I had a very similar accident last fall, resulting in a very similar partially cracked neck and just got my repaired Triplett Catalina back this week. The crack has been glued and 5 oak dowels inserted in the neck. Time will tell whether this will hold or not.

    Good luck!

    — Alice in windy Wyoming

    in reply to: Need to rent a lever harp in Las Vegas or St. George, UT #72163
    alice-freeman
    Spectator

    Contact http://www.comfortharps.com

    Paula and Steve Vance are listed in the directory for the ISFHC (International Society of Folk Harpers and Craftsmen) as living in St George. Their email address and phone number are listed on the Contact Us page.

    Have fun.

    — Alice in windy Wyoming

    in reply to: Pedal Harp #157647
    alice-freeman
    Spectator

    Absolutely! Accept the harp graciously and with promises to give it a good home.

    I drive 70 miles once a month for harp lessons in Colorado and just figure it is one of the costs of living in a rural area.

    On the other hand, with the number of harp teachers who offer lessons via Skype on the Internet, you may be able to find someone who can teach you in your living room.

    — Alice in windy Wyoming

    in reply to: mary k waddinton #157727
    alice-freeman
    Spectator

    Try Mary Kay Waddington, or contact someone in Denver who knows her.

    Sorry I don’t know her birthdate.

    — Alice in windy Wyoming

    in reply to: Heartland – Natural or Painted carbon fiber harp? #70545
    alice-freeman
    Spectator

    I own a Delight with no paint and my student owns a painted Delight.

    Yes, the painted harps

    in reply to: Beatles Harp Music? #148459
    alice-freeman
    Spectator

    How about the “Lennon and McCartney For The Harp” book by Sylvia Woods. It contains 46 of the Beatles tunes arranged for pedal and lever harp — available at her Web site — http://www.harpcenter.com/.

    — Alice in windy Wyoming

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 126 total)