harpcolumn

Windy Weather

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break Windy Weather

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    David Ice
    Participant

Today I played one of the most difficult weddings I’ve ever done. It was incredibly windy…the weather service said gusts of 45mph.

Forget about the music blowing away, or the music stand blowing over.

Alison
    Participant

My advice is simply don’t do it.

Sylvia
    Participant

Yup.

alice-freeman
    Spectator

I have an exclusion clause in my contracts that I don’t play in winds over 20 mph and I carry a small hand-held anemometer that measures air flow from 6 to 35 mph in my gig bag in case there are any arguments. I also state a minimum temperature of 60Âş F. and have a small clock/thermometer with me.

Winds are almost always an issue in Wyoming and my worst experience was with a Triplett Catalina and sustained winds of 15-18 with gusts over 35 mph. Fortunately I could set up with the wind at my back and it was a very short ceremony. Even so, I have a knitted, 1-inch wide

barbara-kraichy–2
    Participant

Hi David,

Misty Harrison
    Participant

did the bride put the wet veil back on?

barbara-kraichy–2
    Participant

Yes, she did! It looked pretty soggy, but I guess she figured she’d paid for it, she might as well wear it. The maid of honor did wring it out!!! Too funny!

Elizabeth L
    Participant

Did you get a picture?

Misty Harrison
    Participant

my goodness well that’s something alright

barbara-kraichy–2
    Participant

No, I didn’t get a picture. I was too busy keeping the harp from falling over. Had to hold on for dear life.

David Ice
    Participant

I did talk to the officiant later and he told me, “there was so much going wrong with that wedding that the bride and groom were so numb that I’m sure they didn’t notice anything wrong with the harp music!”

barbara-kraichy–2
    Participant

Hi everyone,

paul-wren
    Participant

Just my word of advice when having to play on a windy day, take the cover off your harp!

I had to play on a very windy day, got my harp to the space for me to set up, turned around to pick up something and the next thing I heard was “BOOM” the cover acted as a sail and my harp fell on to its side. Lucky it was on grass and not on the tuning disk side. No damage done, excect for my heart which was in my pants.

Misty Harrison
    Participant

I saw this happen with a harp one time

the covers are very bad when it’s windy

Sylvia
    Participant

At least the guys don’t have to worry about their hair.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies